Protecting & Preserving Dummy Cakes And Flower Work

Sugar Work By CakeBijou Updated 22 Mar 2016 , 2:54pm by gemini1959

CakeBijou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBijou Posted 25 Feb 2016 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 2

Hi All, Im hoping for  bit of input from others who have tried some different methods. I want to protect and preserve my dummy cakes and sugar work from humidity and mould. Im in QLD Australia and its very humid here, often in the 80-90s and it gets hot.

I have recently started my business and dummy cakes are in the making for my website portfolio for photography. I want to ensure I can preserve these designs perfectly for wedding event shows over the year / years. In the past , my dummy cakes have moulded, yellowed and even rehydrated and gone sticky. The sugar work has also melted. Due to complexity of design and amount of sugar work attached i cannot take them apart to store in air tight containers which works for my gumpaste flowers here.

Im thinking along the lines of trying some sort of spray sealant. Ive read about spray acrylics, and a new thing called liquid glass. This product apparently also enables cleaning of a surface and prevention of bacteria. 

Has anyone tried this? Im just dying to find a product that with coat a design using spray, make it hard and stop anything from rehydrating. If any of you have ideas or have trued something id love to hear. I think ill go try a few things from the hardware store here in the meantime. emmy

1 reply
gemini1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gemini1959 Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 2

I too would like to know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%