How Do You Make A Mermaid Tail?

Decorating By CakeDesigner1 Updated 25 Feb 2016 , 8:41pm by carolinecakes

CakeDesigner1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDesigner1 Posted 25 Feb 2016 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 3

Hello! I need to make a mermaid cake for this saturday... I'd like to make this cake, but I'm not sure on how you would make the tail, Would fondant be sturdy enough to hold it's shape and keep it in the air with skewers? Hoping someone can help me out ASAP! thanks! :) [postimage id="2690" thumb="900"]

2 replies
carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 25 Feb 2016 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 3

Add a little tylose powder to your fondant, sprinkle a little powder on your surface and knead it into the fondant. It will harden when dry.  After you cut out and shape/texture the tail, insert two skewers into the tail where you will be attaching it to the cake. Either stick the finished tail into a styrofoam base to dry upright or lay flat and use rolled paper towels to support the tail as it dries. I do this when I'm making flowers plaques or figures. HTH

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 25 Feb 2016 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 3

Forgot to add, after you knead the tylose powder into fondant wrap it in saran wrap and place in air tight container let it sit for at least and 1hr.

Also if you are pressed for time, you can place your finished piece in the oven with the oven light on ONLY to dry quickly. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%