Meringue Frosting

Baking By Laetia Updated 23 Feb 2016 , 9:13pm by Singerssoul

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 7

Hi! 

I need to make a smash cake for my Gogdaughter 1st birthday. She can't have any soy or milk product because of food intolerance. Last summer, I've made lots of trial for buttercream recipe fitting those restrictions, but everything failed miserably...

This time, I'm thinking about giving a try to meringue frosting. Not buttercream, just the meringue. I want to be able to frost and smooth the cake and also put a little bit of piping (borders and little dots). Do you think it will work with a cook meringue frosting (italian, swiss, 7minutes frosting)? I may also give a try to coconut whipped cream, but I'm affraid it will be to soft to pipe...

Any experience you are willing to share will be very appreciated.

thanks

6 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 7

I'd try an American-style icing made with confectioner's sugar, water and Vegetable shortening. It won't taste great compared to the icings with butter, but a 1-yr-old doesn't care. A meringue icing that you put on a cake will probably end up with undercooked eggs in it, which I would think you shouldn't give to a baby.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 7

You know what else you could do, just do a little naked cake with a fruit filling and sprinkle some confectioner's sugar on it. Avoid the icing completely.

Laetia Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks costumeczar for your answers. I think your idea of a naked cake might be the way to go after all.

I absolutely dont want to make the baby sick with possible undercooked  egg white. Meringue frosting is out. You are so right about it.

I've made a lot of search and research last summer and every shortening available around here contain soy. I cant use them unfortunately. It would have been to easy!

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 22 Feb 2016 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 7

You could try this, really good stuff!  I have made it and it is delicious.   http://geekycakes.com/2015/05/08/egg-free-dairy-free-vegan-italian-meringue-buttercream/

Laetia Posted 23 Feb 2016 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 7

Very interesting recipe! Never see anything like this before.... I might do some experiment

thanks

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 23 Feb 2016 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 7

Works very nicely!  Except I do the non dainty way of making it (take the streaming pour out).  Great video on it (thanks to a memeber here Kara B. ) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%