Crumby Cake Salvageable??? Help!!!

Baking By Raynebow88 Updated 22 Feb 2016 , 3:11am by -K8memphis

Raynebow88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raynebow88 Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 8:41am
post #1 of 8

Today I baked a doctored strawberry cake. This was my first time experimenting with trying my own recipe, I used a DH white cake mix, with a strawberry creme pudding mix, 4 eggs, 1/4 cup strawberry yogurt and a half a cup of milk. After it was done cooling completely, I leveled it and was SUPER crumby, and it didn't seem as dense as my other cakes that I've made. After I was done leveling it I wrapped it up and put it in the freezer because I won't be needing it until next week. My questions are, why is it so crumby and what could I do to prevent it from being so crumby? And will I still be able to cover it with fondant? Please help! Thank you.

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 9:40am
post #2 of 8

i  don't know but i use strawberry jello in my strawberry cake, milk, eggs, dh white cake and fresh strawberries --

-K8memphis Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 9:41am
post #3 of 8

probably a little oil too

Raynebow88 Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 9:54am
post #4 of 8

Hi @-K8memphis ‍ 

sounds like a good recipe, would you mind sharing the measurements with me!:) 

-K8memphis Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 11:29am
post #5 of 8

sure 

18 oz white cake mix duncan hines

1 small box strawberry jello

1/3 to 1/2 cup oil 

1/2 cup milk

4 eggs

1 cup strawberries*

*so the strawberry thing -- i cut mine with a very sharp knife (which reduces weeping) and into smaller pieces so they don't interfere with the serving of the cake and i mostly just toss them in the mixer after the cake batter is fully mixed --

they do tend to sink a bit while baking but just be careful when assembling your tiers that it all comes out in alternating layers kwim--

i rarely make this cake but i always wanted to toss the berries with some sifted cake mix or flour to coat them before folding them in to see if that doesn't help them float better -- 

it's fabulously delicious and serves/handles perfectly

Raynebow88 Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you! @-K8memphis 

I'm gonna give it a try, I only have bc white cake on hand hopefully it will be ok. I'll let you know how it turns out!:)

Raynebow88 Posted 22 Feb 2016 , 2:23am
post #7 of 8

Just made your cake it's delicious! Thank you again for sharing it is a keeper. It baked almost perfectly leveled too:) Would you suggest that I just do a regular vanilla buttercream frosting to go with it? Or maybe strawberry? @-K8memphis ‍ 

-K8memphis Posted 22 Feb 2016 , 3:11am
post #8 of 8

i use vanilla 'cause it's easier to ice & decorate with and the cake gets the strawberry point across by itself -- oh I'm so glad you like it! you made my day

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%