Fridge Chilled Cakes Vs. Bubbles Under Buttercream.....

Decorating By cakesandknits Updated 21 Feb 2016 , 3:43am by kakeladi

cakesandknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesandknits Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 5

So, I know it's ideal to transport chilled cakes since they're more "solid", but there's always a risk of bubbles happening under buttercream when the cake comes back to room temp.... 

By that point, the cake is with the client and the thought of bubbles I can't fix anymore is very scary to me!

How do you all handle transport of a buttercream cake (both tiered and single) like that??

4 replies
SensationalCakesAndMore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SensationalCakesAndMore Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 5

I've seen this in both chilled cakes and unchilled cakes. Best suggestion I've heard is to provide a "chimney" through the cake using a drinking straw under a pinhole for air to escape... but I've only used that method to coax bubbles overnight while I still had it and could cover the hole in the morning. Interested to see what others contribute here! Hate that!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 5

keep the holes open is one way -- i just pin prick the icing through to the cake on each layer when i remember -- i put the holes in 'the back' -- I just try & hide them within the decor or something

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 5

Years back I never chilled my cakes but since about two years I do because it makes delivery so much easier. Never have a problem with bubbles. Think if you press harden ough on the cake after you filled it is the trick...or I'm just lucky...

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 3:43am
post #5 of 5

Julia has the right idea.  I mentioned this in another thead regarding bubbles (aka: blowouts).  You most likely are not pressing the icing against the cake hard enough.  I don't mean so hard as to move the cake off the board but you need to anchor it against the cake enough to prevent air pockets.  Like Julia I almost never chilled my cakes and had very little of this problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%