Can You Freeze A Modelling Chocolate Covered Cake?

Decorating By Rohini Updated 22 Feb 2016 , 5:56pm by Rohini

Rohini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rohini Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 7

Hi!

I freeze (and defrost) fondant covered cakes all the time and have had no problems. Now I'd like to try covering a cake with modelling chocolate or with fondant and modelling chocolate 50/50 and freeze it.

Would really appreciate to get some advice from someone who has actually frozen a cake covered in modelling chocolate and defrosted it without having problems with condensation.

Cheers!

6 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 7

It will form condensation but that shouldn't be a problem. It will be hard to cut through on the cake if you use 100% modeling chocolate, though, a 50/50 fondant will be softer.

Rohini Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks so much for your reply costumeczar! I will definitely give it a try with the 50/50 combo.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 2:28am
post #4 of 7

If you box it in a cardboard box when frozen and then leave it boxed while it defrosts, the condensation will go to the box and not the cake.  That remains true for a cake covered in ANY medium.

Rohini Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 9:08am
post #5 of 7

Ok, thanks maybenot! So it should work the same way as when freezing and defrosting a fondant covered cake. That's great!

When I freeze a fondant covered cake, I always place the cake in a cardboard box, cover with a couple of layers of plastic wrap and then with a layer of aluminium foil and then place the covered box in the freezer. When defrosting I take the box and keep it in the fridge for 24 hours with the wrappings still on. Then I take the box, still covered and keep it on a kitchen counter for about 2 hours (depending on the size of the cake of course, sometimes a little longer and sometimes a little less) before I finally cut away the wrappings and take  the cake out. And that's exactly what I'll do when I freeze the cake I 'm planning to cover in modelling chocolate and fondant.

Thanks again ladies, for taking the time to reply. It's greatly appreciated!!

Have a great day!

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 7

Yep, that's exactly how I'd do it. 

I do, also, agree with costumeczar that a 50/50 mix will be easier to cut and easier to work with.  100% modeling chocolate will be so hard to cut thru that the cake will be crushed in the process.

Rohini Posted 22 Feb 2016 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks again maybenot!! It's definitely going to be a 50/50 mix! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%