Friday Night Cake Club For 2/19/16

Decorating By catlharper Updated 21 Feb 2016 , 5:18pm by julia1812

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 5:29am
post #1 of 23

Opening up another session of the FNCC! ALL levels of cakers are welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help if needed or provide help if they can!

Cat

22 replies
catlharper Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 5:35am
post #2 of 23

Hi everyone! Do you ever agree to do a cake and then, as the date to make the cake gets closer, wonder what the hell you were thinking to agree to do that cake?!?  I have a birthday party, a wedding AND an Oscar party next weekend. Now I started out with the 1st one and the 3rd one and somehow my big mouth got me the wedding in between. What the HELL was I thinking?! I'm now mentally overwhelmed. UGH. I know, I know...one small step at a time and I'll get the work done but man, oh , man...me and my big mouth! On the upside I'll be able to show you photos of the wedding cake next Friday night...it will be late because I work till 10pm but I'll try to get them up here before I leave for work. The Oscar cake I'll actually do on Sunday so that one will wait till the following week. 

This past week has been all about getting supplies to make all of these creations but no baking. Hope to see lots of great works of edible art this week from all of you!

Cat

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 23

Cat, I totally understand you! This has totally happened to me, and luckily I was able to manage it all but it's definitely overwhelming. Good luck, and I'm sure everything will turn out great relaxed.png

Here's my work for the week. A client of ours ordered two cakes, one of them was a video game themed birthday cake with his favourite characters, and she ordered another one for a friend of hers. She asked for a super tacky unicorn cake so this is what I came up with lol

900_rainbow-and-unicorn-birthday-cake-937512rBHmJ.jpg

and the video game cake:

900_video-game-birthday-cake-937512KcMRl.jpg

We also made a few Paw Patrol cookies for a birthday party

900_paw-patrol-sugar-cookies-937512mipZZ.jpg

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 23

Lol! Happens to me all the time. I really bake mainly for family, but I am like what was I thinking when I agreed to that. The worst was when I agreed to make a wedding cake for one of the doctors I worked with. Him and his wife loved it. They wanted a simple cake with 2 kitchen cakes. When I delivered it I am sure the staff at the club was shaking their heads.

I can't wait to see yours next week. They will be amazing I am sure. I baked cupcakes this week nothing fancy just chocolate, with a mint chocolate ganache, mint chocolate buttercream, topped with an Andes mint. 

I am throwing myself a birthday party Sunday and am working on a royal icing Eiffel tower cake topper. Not really sure of what I am doing to the rest of the cake yet. Just know that if I can get this Eiffel Tower to hold up it will be on top. I spent about 4 hours piping it out last night. 

Marian

Marian64 Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 23

@SweetShop5 ‍ I would never call that unicorn cake tacky. As always your work is flawless.

SweetShop5 Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 23

@Marian64 ‍ I wouldn't really call it tacky either seeing as it would work for a little girls birthday cake, but they loved the cake so I guess I succeeded haha! Thank you :) 

We did an eiffel tower out of royal icing for a cake before, the assembling isn't as bad as you think! The piping is definitely the most stressful part. Can't wait to see your finished product!

Marian64 Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 1:59pm
post #7 of 23

@SweetShop5 ‍ well glad it gets easier. If you were closer I would pay you to make the topper. I have made lots of extra pieces because I am sure I will break them. Is it okay to try getting it all together now. Or should I wait till closer to time. It just seems so fragile. 

How did you make your unicorn? It looks perfect I may try one for my sister's birthday in August. 

Thanks

SweetShop5 Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 2:06pm
post #8 of 23

@Marian64 ‍ aw, that's so sweet! I'm sure it will look great but I definitely wouldn't assemble it today. It might still be fragile and break. I would wait 2-3 more days and then assemble everything just to be safe.

I used a template online for the unicorn and then used airbrush colours to paint on the hair of the unicorn, and a black edible marker for the outline of the unicorn. It was made out of gum paste as well.

cara1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cara1982 Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 4:44pm
post #9 of 23

Ha what a bizarre request?! Tacky unicorn... I love it!!

cara1982 Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 4:47pm
post #10 of 23

Having problems posting pictures today... I shall try again.

my first handbag cake this week

[postimage id="2584" thumb="900"]

SweetShop5 Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 4:53pm
post #11 of 23

@cara1982 ‍ it was bizarre, but sometimes they end up being my favourite kind of requests! Her explanation was that she dressed up as a unicorn for Halloween, so she wanted a cake that matched that lol

You're cake is absolutely stunning! I had to do a double take, it looks like a real purse! Amazing job!!!

catlharper Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 5:02pm
post #12 of 23

Good morning!

@SweetShop5 ‍  I sure don't know what I was thinking but the details woke me up this morning...thinking about the steps and what order I was going to do them in. SIGH. I know I'll get through it and I think I will simply love the cakes when they are done but I have to remember...I am RETIRED from this biz so I have to stop trying to schedule myself up so much! LOL!

Love the Unicorn cake...and yes, either of my grown girls would love it for it's "little girl" quality. And I was just talking to a friend about her son's birthday cake in October...he wants minecraft...yesh...but I was giving her other options for it..I like what you did with yours...still has the squares but not so many!

@Marian64 ‍ Let the royal icing dry for as long as you can and, yes, maybe pipe out some more pieces. I can't wait to see it!!!

@cara1982 ‍ Wow! Your MK cake is perfection! Truly incredible!

I'll drop in again tonight after work to see if anyone else stopped by! Have a great Saturday!

Cat

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 6:54pm
post #13 of 23

Yikes Cat, how did you get yourself in this predicament? All these  cakes plus your other many jobs?!  Great cakes sweatshop and cars - you never fail to impress with your clean and beautiful work!  My cake this week isn't worthy to stand with yours, but it was a low budget fun cake.  It's some kind of family joke involving a cheesecake so she wanted a cheese cake with mice in for fun.

[postimage id="2585" thumb="900"]

Pastrybaglady Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 8:48pm
post #14 of 23

Aww stupid autocorrect!  I was trying to compliment @SweetShop5 ‍ and @cara1982 ‍ smile.png

cara1982 Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 9:29pm
post #15 of 23

Ha ha

cara1982 Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 9:51pm
post #16 of 23

My phone does it all the time, when I write my own name! 

jellybeanlane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jellybeanlane Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 9:52pm
post #17 of 23

Wow, you guy's amaze me every week by your cakes! I wouldn't even know where to begin to make such beautiful work... thank you all for sharing it gives me hope that one day I might be able to create something as beautiful and creative as yours!

Have a great weekend,

Jellybean  :)

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 20 Feb 2016 , 10:47pm
post #18 of 23

Nice job, peeps! Every cake is beautiful. Nice clean work :)

Marian64 Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 4:51am
post #19 of 23

@cara1982 ‍  that purse is simlply a work of art!

@Pastrybaglady ‍ I just love your cheesecake and the mice are adorable!

catlharper Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 6:21am
post #20 of 23

@Pastrybaglady ‍ I get myself into this sort of mess by being WAY too nice for my own good.  Started out wanting to do something nice for my daughter. We try to give each other experiences rather than physical goods for our birthdays so I came up with the Mad Hatter Tea Party for her this year...thinking that I could have a catering friend of mine help me and I wouldn't need to make a cake just work out the details and make it come together...easy peasy, right? Then it got moved from this weekend to next weekend...the same weekend as Oscars. Well, to keep the secret from my daughter I ended up agreeing to make Mars for dessert for her Oscar party. I still figured it wouldn't be too big of a deal since the parties were on different weekends...until they suddenly were on the same weekend. Now enter a VERY long time friend who is, at the age of 40, finally getting her Love Story and Happily Ever After and got engaged and then her cake plans fell through (the place where she was to get her cake went out of business)...and now she has no wedding cake. How can I say no to that?! So here I am...tea party in the morning, wedding in the afternoon and Oscars the next day. I'm a bit overwhelmed indeed! LOL! Knowing I'll be making a whole lotta people very happy is how I get myself into this stuff. Even when this was my business I was never good at saying no. LOL!

Love the Mice and Cheese! SO cute!

Cat

Pastrybaglady Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 7:54am
post #21 of 23

@catlharper ‍ You're right, I wouldn't be able to say no to any of that either, but I don't have three other jobs like you!  Can't wait to see ALL the cakes, but especially Mars, that sounds amazing grinning.png

SweetShop5 Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 4:52pm
post #22 of 23

@catlharper ‍ You'll get through it! But boy, I do hate making those Minecraft cakes. Sticking all those squares gives me nightmares at night lol!

@Pastrybaglady ‍ such an adorable cake!

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 5:18pm
post #23 of 23

@catlharper I feel for you! Am in a similar situation soon. Am actually not too worried about the cakes (one is an ice cream cake so that will be done in advance anyway) bit more to the fact that something came up that I would much rather do than making cakes that weekend. But now I overbooked myself and feel bad to cancel...so guess that's my own fault and I have to stick it out lol! Good luck with your baking Cat and bravo to all the beautiful cakes everyone! !!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%