Help! Too Much Flour In Cake

Baking By MichelleDW Updated 22 Feb 2016 , 12:37am by MichelleDW

MichelleDW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleDW Posted 17 Feb 2016 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 5

I need some desperate help! For my cake final in my baking class I ended up putting double the amount of flour into batter without realizing it and baked it.  after realizing what I did I couldn't redo it. Any tips?! Can I still work with it and save it? I know my filling and buttercream is good but is the cake gonna be dense and dry or hard and unusable? If it's dense and dry I could just use simple syrup. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Feb 2016 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 5

possible idea to test out in a small portion and see how you like it before proceeding:

slice it super thin and brush on some condensed milk thinned with simple syrup and alcohol  add some flavoring --  or maybe cut it thicker and soak each side -- see if it might could get human again -- maybe steam the cake before brushing with the mixture --

or  maybe re-bake slices of it soaked in that mixture with an egg added to it  -- maybe apply this with a squirt bottle -- 

layer it with sliced fruit and whipped cream 

maybe make tiny cubes and remix it with the custard and bake? glory -- geez i don't know -- but thin it out & sweeten it up somehow

for the future -- lay out all your ingredients measured into coffee filters and souffle cups before mixing, double triple check your recipe

lemme know how you do --

oh i got another use cubed cake soaked in some condensed milk and alcohol -- some people hate jello but if you can get some kind of infusion into the original cake then stick that in a mixture of 2 pkg jello 1 c boiling water (let dissolve) 2 pkgs slightly thawed frozen strawberries (let this thicken the jello) and 8 ounces of whipping cream (fold that into the mixture -- then add the reconstituted cake cubes) that could be used to disguise it too -- let it set up overnight --

lemme know how you do -- rootin' for yah!

MichelleDW Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 1:30am
post #3 of 5

Thanks so much for suggestions! I think i might try drenching it in some cream soda. Cream soda is already in my cake so it will hopefully bring out some more flavor along with keeping it moist!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 11:42am
post #4 of 5

how did this go for you?

MichelleDW Posted 22 Feb 2016 , 12:37am
post #5 of 5

It went really well! It definitely had too much flour and it was dense and dry so I just brushed cream soda on and it worked wonders

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%