How To Apply Disco Dust Just To The Drizzle On Cake Pops?

Decorating By Jessi_LaChelle Updated 25 Feb 2016 , 12:10pm by -K8memphis

Jessi_LaChelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessi_LaChelle Posted 17 Feb 2016 , 4:01am
post #1 of 10

i thought you just did the first coat let dry and do the drizzle and sprinkle the glitter while its still wet then brush with a paintbrush when it dries but it was all over it. techniques? and please spare the"disco dust isnt edible" speech im aware it isnt FDA approved and i let my customers know as well.

9 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Feb 2016 , 4:21am
post #2 of 10

I'm not sure how to respond to that. Don't put disco dust on things that are supposed to be eaten.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Feb 2016 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 10

those treats are especially appealing to kids -- you therefore are a dangerous food supplier on purpose -- not to mention admitting it on the world wide web was not wise in this litigious society of ours --

you can use edible glitter if you want to be a non-dangerous food supplier

just mix gum arabic with water and food color brush it on the bottom of an upside down bowl and after it dries crumble it up voila and you don't have to worry about hurting people --

or just buy edible glitter --

best to you

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2016 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 10

PLEASE, please understand what everyone is saying.  IT IS PLASTIC ground fine.  Do you really  want that building up in your system and maybe causing problems for people with compromised systems??  You could be the cause of someone ending up in the hospital VERY sick or even cause their death.                                                                                                                                                   Just by it's very nature it is going to fly all over the place when you sprinkle it on.  If you don't want any dust somewhere then  you have to cover that area.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Feb 2016 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 10

*on the bottom of an upturned stainless steel bowl

sanding sugar and granulated sugar give a very sparkly effect and come in many different opulent colors including gold and silver and opal -- really nice effect plus you can make it yourself with gel food color just mix it in oh wait that's coconut --

i'm sure i've made colored sugar haven't i? pretty sure -- having some brain fog today and i'm out of granulated sugar or i'd try it to be sure but yeah i'm sure you can --

ditch the disco mess don't go there it's not necessary

best of the best to you

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 4:04am
post #6 of 10

Well, just so you know, your neck is on the line if your "informed" client decides to cry foul with plastic glitter on their food--even if they're informed or signed a waiver--and your product liability insurance won't cover you.  No waiver or signature will save you because as the professional, and the one who has been put on notice about the fact that the product can't be used on food, you know better.

I asked the FDA this:  "My question is:   If plastic glitter is not GRAS, and putting it on food is subject to an enforcement action, is this person correct?  Can someone really allow/approve a food producer's adulteration of food?"

The official response was:  "The Federal law is clear; unapproved color additives are prohibited from use in food.  Decorative plastic glitter that is not removable from the food before consumption is considered an unapproved color additive.  The “guidance” the baker received does not comply with FDA policy." 

The logic is very simple:  If you ask if you can put non approved food additives on/in food & you do it because the client approved, you are in violation [you consciously and deliberately adulterated the food].  If the client asks you do to it and you do, you are in violation for the same reason.

If the client puts the dust on the finished product, then they, and only they, are fully responsible for any issues that arise from the use of the unapproved additive.

Me, I don't take on the liabilities of others.  No one pays me enough for that.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Feb 2016 , 12:20pm
post #7 of 10

and in other news Mars candy company recalls candy bars that might contain p!astic bits

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/mars-recalls-candy-bars-55-countries-plastic-find-37133983

.eat.cake. Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
.eat.cake. Posted 24 Feb 2016 , 1:58pm
post #8 of 10

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2580168/Businesswoman-sold-edible-cupcake-glitter-shredded-plastic-powdered-brass-insisted-safe-despite-repeated-warnings.html

Once again i am grateful to cc for the education it provides.  I have just looked at the glitters that i have left over from previous projects as i bought them from my local cake supply store thinking they were edible.

Sure enough a quick Google search shows they are not.  thinking back I'm pretty sure i have only used these on decorations but I'm now questioning what if the decoration sheds small quantities on to the cake. I'm gutted i didn't question these at the time.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 25 Feb 2016 , 6:52am
post #9 of 10

Don't beat yourself up over it.  You, and thousands of others, have been fooled.  Now you know, and that's what counts.  Spread the word and some good will come out of it.  Be angry at those who didn't know what they were selling, and more so at those who did know and didn't tell or didn't care.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Feb 2016 , 12:10pm
post #10 of 10

@maybenot -- kudos to you -- wise/brilliant post 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%