But The Cake Only Costs ...

Business By sinfullyd Updated 16 Feb 2016 , 11:40pm by specialcake

sinfullyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sinfullyd Posted 16 Feb 2016 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 6

This is a little bit of a rant really so i apologise. I had an email requesting a quote for a wedding cake. I quoted for the cake as normal and was so shocked to have received a response which went like this...

"But the whole cake only costs £349 in Marks and Spencer so i had hoped for it to be a little cheaper. "

Im based in the UK so for those of you in other countries, marks and spencer is what i would call an upmarket supermarket. 

She wanted a 3 tier cake to feed approx 120 people is the shape/theme of a birdcage. 

Do people really expect bespoke cakes to be cheaper than a supermarket? Do other people get t#similar responses to this?

5 replies
cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 16 Feb 2016 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 6

ohmygoodness if I had a dollar for every such comment!  There have been so many threads on this forum concerning this exact thing...  and you would think that in a society to 'into' DIY crafts and watching all of those cake shows on TV you would think that they would finally "get" it!  It's not about the cost of the ingredients, people! It's about the skill of the cake artist and all of the costs to operate their small business!

You want supermarket prices?  Then be my guest!  If you want skill and a damn-good cake, then give me a call!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Feb 2016 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 6

Oh, sure they do, people have no clue. 

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 16 Feb 2016 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 6

Give them a knife and a drill and ask them to do brain surgery. 

It's all about skill and training....to get the desired results.

specialcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialcake Posted 16 Feb 2016 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 6

well said!, I want to print your comment and frame it!, so before any CAKE consultation I would make people to read it first! LOL

specialcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialcake Posted 16 Feb 2016 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 6

well said!, I want to print your comment and frame it!, so before any CAKE consultation I would make people to read it first! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%