Convection Oven Help

Baking By mymamacakes Updated 24 Feb 2016 , 9:00am by T-Breakz

mymamacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymamacakes Posted 10 Feb 2016 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 7

I am fairly new to convection oven.  I got the best-rated Samsung convection oven in Consumer Reports.  It is a gas oven.

I have been changing my baking temp from 350 to 325.  However, I'm upset because my cakes still come out differently depending on where in the oven they are.  Those placed in 'front' come out light and beautiful.  Closer to the fan are darker.  Bottom rack, as usual, are darker too.  

I understand that issues like bottom-rack can't be completely resolved by convection, but I feel like there shouldn't be such a variety in the cakes it's baking.  For instance, I put about 9 cakes in my oven the other day, using all 3 racks.  They were a wide range of colors...from beautiful light golden yellow cake to deep orange/brown--which annoyed me.

Thoughts? Advice?  Oven came with zero explanation of using convection, other than where the button is!

6 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 10 Feb 2016 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 7

Getting a manual may help. You should be able to get one online so visit the Samsung website. If the manual doesn't answer your questions, contact customer service to request technical help.

Convection ovens have hot spots and uneven baking. They're fine for meat and other cooked items but not so great with baked goods. I once bought a GE best-rated convection oven because their marketing department claimed it could do three-rack baking. It sure couldn't! I had several conversations with them and eventually they sent a truck to remove it from my kitchen. They requested that I not purchase any other GE cooking products. I was banned from GE!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Feb 2016 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 7

i should be so lucky/honored to get banned by ge -- i think being banned from ge is akin to receiving a high award -- i've banned myself from ge but you should get the key to the oven city -

signed,

so not a fan of ge ovens

high five

mymamacakes Posted 10 Feb 2016 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 7

My manual doesn't give me details about using the convection.

mymamacakes Posted 10 Feb 2016 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 7

What a bummer, all around.  They shouldn't boast three-rack baking if it just can't do it.

What's the most affordable commercial oven one can get? Anyone know?

karmen.wong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmen.wong Posted 24 Feb 2016 , 1:34am
post #6 of 7

Same problem with my oven. I hate it. Worst decision to buy it! But I still have it - and im still figuring it out. Try adding an extra rack to the bottom shelf and place an empty pan at the bottom to disperse heat. Rotating the cakes are important as well.  good luck!

T-Breakz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
T-Breakz Posted 24 Feb 2016 , 9:00am
post #7 of 7

From experience, not all convection oven out there work. I tried tefal and delonghi convection oven before and it's crap. But now I satisfied with my Rowenta convection oven. It's regular size so max it can do is 2 rack baking which is pretty good for me. The baking is even, done it with cookies and cakes and no problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%