How Many To Bake For Big Home Show

Business By lonandleah Updated 9 Feb 2016 , 9:34pm by leah_s

lonandleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lonandleah Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 6:09am
post #1 of 12

Hi

I booked a 10x10 booth at a fairly large 3 day home show....probably just over 5000 visitors. I only sell by the dozen as they are just slightly bigger than the minis- for $15 and have no idea how many to bake. I'm thinking 200 dozen??

Have any of you done a show like this and if so what kind of sales did you see.

Thank you for any advice

Leah

11 replies
Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 6:40am
post #2 of 12

A dozen cupcakes for $15?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 12

i would devise an individual serving size for this -- when i'm trotting around a big event i don't want to carry around leftovers -- cupcakes are impulse food -- make it easy for them to indulge--

so you don't figure on many sales here out of 5,000 participants -- i don't know -- i'd say ramp it up -- doncha think?

lonandleah Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 12

too little or too much????

That's the going price where I live

lonandleah Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 12

Well I was just wondering more for the dozen packs what I should make. I will be making individual as well (probably 1,000 of them) That's why I'm asking because I really have no idea. I've only done a few farmer's markets where people have been happy to buy by the dozen.

They're not a true cupcake but that's the closest thing I can refer it to.....they're a lot heavier and I do give out samples

56ba0085868aa.jpeg

.eat.cake. Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
.eat.cake. Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 12

Hi, 

I'm in the UK so don't actually deal in $$ but from my few visits to the us using $$ I have a small idea of what that can buy and what the equivalent ££ are.

I would say you are seriously under charging at $15 for a dozen. With the greatest respect are you making any real money from these? 

I eat with my eyes and if they taste as good as they look I would happily pay $3 each. Maybe $30 for a dozen..

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 12

I sooooo agree w/.eat.cake. especially from the pic you posted!  As for how many dzs I suggest like 100.  Any chance y ou can make more after you see how it goes  the 1st day?  From the few home shows I have attended, food - especially something to take home is not what people will consider buying in lg quantities.  Instead it would be the singles you might need more of.  

lonandleah Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 12

Thank you....Cupcake stores charge that for their full size around here but I never thought I could get that for my minis.

Maybe I'll try $20 and see how that goes ;-)

They cost me about $4.50/dozen including packaging and labels

BeeBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBakes Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 12

its hard to tell the size from the pic, but you say they are just bigger than minis, so maybe $15/dozen isn't bad? -if they are closer to cupcake size then i too would say maybe you are undercharging.

instead of selling in dozens, have you thought about selling in half dozen or in a 4pk if you don't want to sell individual? like previously said i don't think people are going to want to walk around with all of it.

lonandleah Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 6:43pm
post #10 of 12

Well I'll definitely make more $$ off singles so I will plan for that. Thanks!

lonandleah Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 12

It's hard for me to find that size package in my size. I need 1.62 (1 5/8") bottom dia and usually ones in that size are too short to accomodate for icing. The dozen package I have is quite small

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 9:34pm
post #12 of 12

I do a lot of events with my dessert food truck.  As a rule of thumb, 10% of attendees eat dessert.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%