Alice In Wonderland Cake Pops

Decorating By yamitibug Updated 9 Feb 2016 , 3:03pm by colleenski

yamitibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamitibug Posted 8 Feb 2016 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 4

i want to make Alice in Wonderland cake pops similar to the attached photo to raise money for my kids school. Any suggestions on what to use to create the rabbit ears and the brim of the hat. I have used rolled fondant for similar items but find that sometimes the fondant reacts poorly if the weather is hot and humid. Thanks.

56b90a12915cd.jpeg

3 replies
Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 9:09am
post #2 of 4

Fondant mixed with Tylo is my thought.  I'm going to be a it harsh here though and ask how is the fund raiser going to work?  The reason I ask is that, in my experience, you are better off giving them the money than contributing a 'cake' gift as they don't appreciate the value of them sometimes.  I once made some 2x2" mini fruit cakes for a cancer charity fete....if i was selling them, I would charged in excess of £11 per cake (each one was beautifully decorated, individually wrapped etc).  I never advised on how much she should charge but I saw a picture of the stand and she was charging £2.50 per cake!  Not surprisingly, they disappeared very very quickly but it cost me probably double that in ingredients to make them AND then there was my time on top.  Guess my point is to make sure that it is actually going to be the most efficient way of raising money for the school - they are very serious work those cake pops.  Good luck x

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 4

@Snowflakebunny23 ‍ I was going to say exactly the same thing! Having dealt with school fundraisers many times before, it's been my experience that if they really need the funds, the best thing to do would be to write them a check for the amount that you'd spend on the ingredients since whatever you make probably won't sell for that much. The people who run these things price everything really low so that the kids can afford to buy them, and there's nothing more aggravating than watching your hard work being purchased for 1/10 of what you'd charge for it.

The most elaborate thing I'd ever make for a school fundraiser/bake sale type event would be chocolate-covered oreos with an edible image plopped on them. For most people those are just as impressive as an elaborate cake pop (they really don't know the difference in work that goes into them) and you won't resent the people who sell them for 50 cents each.

colleenski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colleenski Posted 9 Feb 2016 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 4

I totally agree. Do something simple like chocolate covered pretzels, or dipped marshmallows. You'd be surprised how impressed most people are with the simplest of homemade treats.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%