Simple Syrup Saga

Baking By Mrs O Updated 17 Feb 2016 , 5:34pm by -K8memphis

Mrs O Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs O Posted 3 Feb 2016 , 3:19am
post #1 of 6

Hi all. I've made simple syrup a number of times and it's turned out fine. However, lately, the sugar has been crystallising. Someone suggested I put in some creme of tartar which worked once. I haven't changed my method or recipe but the stuff just keeps crystallising right back once it cools! I wipe the sides to get rid of any granules of sugar but still have the same issue. Now, I decided to add some lemon juice the last time I made it and it did the trick! However, I don't want a lemon taste in all my cakes. I'll appreciate tips on preventing the crystallisation without the use of lemon juice.  Thanks!

And sorry for the long story :) 

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Feb 2016 , 12:02pm
post #2 of 6

cook it with a lid on so that will keep it all condensed on the sides --

but put the sugar in the middke of the pot first then slowly add the water -- don't even stir just jiggle the pot -- boil till it is clear and it should be more than fine -- you're not making it in the microwave or something are yah

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 3 Feb 2016 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 6

Adding a bit of corn syrup is supposed to prevent crystallization as well.  Perhaps replace a bit of sugar with a bit of corn syrup to help?

Mrs O Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs O Posted 17 Feb 2016 , 7:00am
post #4 of 6

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I'll sure try them out. No, I'm not making it in the microwave smiley.png

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2016 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 6

Hey K8  I always made my simple syrup in the MW.  Never had a problem:)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Feb 2016 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 6

lynne, cool -- no i've never used the microzapper for this but i will from now on :) so much easier huh -- good call

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%