Fondant Applied Directly To A Whipped Cream Based Mousse

Decorating By bakemeenchanted Updated 1 Feb 2016 , 11:43am by bakemeenchanted

bakemeenchanted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeenchanted Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone! So I have this customer who wants a Candy Crush themed cake, but on a triple chocolate mousse cake. Dark chocolate cake as the base, then a layer of dark chocolate mousse, topped with a layer of white chocolate mousse.

I was wondering if it would be possible to apply small fondant accents directly to the top of the cake, the white chocolate mousse? My instinct says no since the mousse is basically whipped cream and melted chocolate, so I feel like the moisture would make the fondant all gummy and gross. What do you guys say?

Or I was thinking I could apply a very thin layer of buttercream all over the top of the cake, and then apply the accents to that.

My last option is to make a regular chocolate cake and fill it with mousse with a stiff buttercream dam, and cover the whole thing in fondant and decorate normally. But I have a feeling this customer won't be willing to pay for a fully fondant-covered cake :|

Thanks in advance!! 8)8)8)

2 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 3

I would say no, that sounds like a lot of moisture and whippiness. You could always plop some fondant candy crush things on it right before you display the cake, that should be okay, but don't do it them refrigerate them.

bakemeenchanted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeenchanted Posted 1 Feb 2016 , 11:43am
post #3 of 3

Thanks for that costumeczar! Yeah I'm definitely not gonna refridgerate after putting on the accents, and I'll tell the custimer to remove the decorations before storing the leftovers. The mousse will be out a couple of hours at most, amd since we're going through a pretty severe cold spell right now, i think it should be ok.

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%