Best One-Stop-Cake-Stuff-Shop In New York?

Lounge By Snowflakebunny23 Updated 14 Apr 2016 , 5:21pm by -K8memphis

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all,

I have a long weekend planned in New York at the end of Feb (very excited!).  We have a lot of tourist stuff planned so I won't have a lot of time but I really want to take advantage of the epic selection of cake stuff available in the US (empty suitcase will be coming too!).  is there maybe a particular shop that you could recommend with a good selection of bits all in one place?

Would really appreciate any tips :-) 

x

10 replies
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 11

Any New-Yorkers out there???  Pretty please??

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 11

I'm not in NY but have bought from   www.nycake.com many times!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 11

i hope you have a fabulous trip and find tons of great goodies

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Feb 2016 , 1:08am
post #5 of 11

I'm also a fan of NYcake.com. Do they have a storefront?

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 1 Feb 2016 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you all!  I came across NYCake in my search and it looks like they have diminion on the market there.  Yes it does look like they have a store front but the customer reviews are pretty bad.  Ouch-worthy even.  Ow well, you get bad reviews everywhere...I will go with my empty suitcase and do my best to fill it. Yay!!

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 1 Feb 2016 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 11

Wow it took me ten tries and a message to support to let me reply today!  Whew - exhausted!

I've been to NYCake  - I live close to the city and am in frequently.  It's relatively small because NYC space is what it is!  And I don't think it's open on weekends so check the website.  That being said I enjoyed wandering around in it but I didn't find it suitcase-packed worthy!  You may feel differently!  I remember buying a couple things (different size tart pans) but I've not felt the urge to go back. I can get things I need at many other places or online and it's not give-away pricing!

If you're around there's no reason not to go but don't get overly excited - as much as I hate to say it!  I think they offer classes too so maybe there's something exciting happening when you go.

There's all sorts of FANTASTIC chocolate places around the city - that is worth putting on your calendar.  Jacques Torres anyone - ahhhh!

Have fun - hope you get good weather!

T

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 2 Feb 2016 , 1:25am
post #8 of 11

I've been to NYCake and liked shopping there. Another good business is Kerekes in Brooklyn, http://www.bakedeco.com/ I've ordered from their site but have not been to the store. (FYI, they're closed on Saturdays, open Sundays.) Enjoy your trip! 

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 22 Feb 2016 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 11

Sorry I'm late to the party. I work in the city and have been there many times. The first time I was there, being a newbie, I was blow away (kid in a candy store)  but once I realized how overpriced they were I started buying my supplies online. (Fondant Source and Global Sugar Art).  The layout of the store is more like a warehouse, you have to find things yourself, the customer service has improved over the years. I will shop there only if I need something last minute. The last time I was there I was looking  for black stamens and had to DIG through a basket ( which was on a high shelf) because they were all dumped in.......and no black stamens. THE PRICES CHARGED IN THE STORE ARE HIGHER THAN ON THEIR WEBSITE. They have a no refund/no exchange policy. That said, you can still enjoy a visit there, especially if you're a chocoholic like me. The isle with the chocolates is intoxicating, just keep a tight grip on your pocket book, because there are no bargains to be found.

There is a Michael's about a half block away where I also buy arts and crafts supplies.....can't beat the 20% off coupon. They carry mostly Wilton and Cake Boss though. I get my ribbons there, to decorate my cake drums, they have a huge selection. I have never been to Kerekes, once I started shopping online that was it for me, the prices and convenience sealed the deal.

Enjoy your trip, there's lots to see in the BIG APPLE.

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 11:47am
post #10 of 11

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to say thank you all for your tips - we had a great time in the city and did so much walking that I was in A&E the day after we got home with a suspected stress fracture...apparently walking 16km in one day is not advisable when you're not used to it.  Oops!  Ow well.  Didn't quite get as much cake shopping as I'd hoped as my other half got food poisoning on the last two days of the trip (doh) and one of those afternoons was dedicated to 'cake stuff'.  Ow well.  So is life...I'll just have to go back!  Got a bit of a wonder around Michaels though which was fun and got to try some amazing food.  New Yorkers are a very friendly bunch!

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks again xx

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 5:21pm
post #11 of 11

food poisioning and stress fractures omg are you guys back in one piece again -- glad y'all had a nice trip but whoa -- did you try activated charcoal for the food poisoning -- and i have a load of different meds for bone problems hahaha

i'm glad you found us and by us i mean new yorkers friendly!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%