Showpeel

Sugar Work By kimbasammie Updated 30 Jan 2016 , 7:14pm by maybenot

kimbasammie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbasammie Posted 29 Jan 2016 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 3

Is there a difference between silicone showpeel molds and silicone molds used for fondant and gum paste? The showpeel molds cost  a lot more. Can you use Isomalt in a silicone gum paste mold? Please explain the difference between the two.

Thanks,

Linda

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 3

i have both and i would say just go by the manufacturers suggestions -- i guess just ask the mnfctr if it can take the higher heat and then you wanna go by what design you want too -- but fondant would be wobbly in some of the showpeels because some are very thin but work wonderful for the hot sugars -- then i'd suppose some of my other molds would curl up & die like the wicked witch of the west if i poured hot sugar on them -- idk -- gotta ask --

so there's no discernable difference to the eye except for the thinness of some of them however i've never used one out of it's stated comfort zone --

best to you

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 3

The showpeels are shallow and designed to hold a liquid like sugar, isomalt, or sugar that will sit in the voids of the mold. 

I'd think that you could use them to imprint fondant, gum paste, or pastillage and then cut away the excess, but I wouldn't classify them as molds for those mediums.

A lot of silicone molds will tolerate heats over 325F, so they can be used for isomalt & sugar, as well, but if I have something that were the heat tolerance isn't specified, I don't even try it with isomalt or sugar, unless I don't care if I ruin it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%