Help! Cake Boards Sliding While Icing Cakes

Decorating By krys121 Updated 1 Feb 2016 , 10:42am by Rohini

krys121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krys121 Posted 29 Jan 2016 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 13

I know this sounds like a mundane question, but I could ABSOLUTELY use some help on this from you wonderful ladies. :) 

Like many people, I put my cakes on a cake board trimmed to the exact size for frosting. The cake + cake board are also put on a larger board (so my turntable doesn't get frosting all over it and so I can easily transfer it to another layer if it is part of a tiered cake). This means a 6-inch cake would have a 6-inch board underneath and then those together would be put on a larger (8 or 9 inch board). Then, I frost my cake.

I never had problems with this method before. However, the place I purchase my cake boards from stopped selling regular cake boards; now they only sell greaseproof ones. A greaseproof board on top of another greaseproof board makes the two boards slide around so much that I can't get a smooth coat of frosting. (A silly problem that's caused me many wrinkles!)  :)

I've always used a little bit of frosting between the boards to help adhere them, but the problem remains. I've heard of people melting chocolate between the boards, but that seems like it would add way too much time and hassle to my process. Does anyone else have any advice? Or does anyone else use a somewhat different process? This is driving me nuts and I just can't figure out how to remedy the problem. 

Any advice or help is appreciated immensely! 

12 replies
annagon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annagon Posted 29 Jan 2016 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 13

I use a non-slip mat between my boards, especially if I'm going to be moving the cake back and forth from the fridge a lot and don't have a ton of space.  I have little circles (I think they were meant for opening jars), but it's basically this material: http://www.containerstore.com/s/kitchen/kitchen-drawer-organizers/white-bulk-grip-premium-liner/12d?productId=10034460&green=226D67F2-05A5-56D6-BC17-54A4AA127156

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 12:49am
post #3 of 13

Same here, I cut a square of appropriate size out of a rubber mesh shelf liner, and put that between anything I don't want to slip.  I've also been known to use it under cakes in the trunk of my hatchback, to keep them from sliding around in the trunk.  Or I also have some circles of a slightly thicker version of the same thing, sold at the dollar store for opening jars.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 13

I also use the rubberized shelf liner from the dollar store.  I LOVE that stuff! 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 5:12pm
post #5 of 13

Sometimes a damp paper towel works, too. We would put one under our cutting boards in culinary school to keep them from slithering around.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 13

I can't understand why you use two boards.  The cake should be sitting on a board that's bigger than the cake.  That's where the icing goes.  (In the space between the edge of the cake and the edge of the board.)  You can use the edge of the board to line up the bench scraper or whatever you use to smooth out the icing.

krys121 Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 13

Annagon, Magda, Apti and Costumeczar - thank you so much for the tips! I will definitely try a drawer liner/jar gripper type of product! :) 

krys121 Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 13

Leah - I use two boards primarily because that was the way I learned. :) But also, it makes it easy to transfer the cake from one place to another when it is on a larger board. I'm always eager to learn "smarter" ways of doing things though. The idea of putting the icing in the space between the edge of the cake and the edge of the board certainly makes sense. But if the icing on the board goes all the way to the edge, how to you move the cake easily? It seems like it would be difficult to move the cake since there's no excess room. With the cake on a larger board, I can just pick up the larger board (without worrying about touching the icing) and put the crumb coated cake in the refrigerator (or move a smaller tier to a larger one). How do you move your cakes with the icing going all the way to the edge?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 8:33pm
post #9 of 13

krys -  moving the cake on the board was just never a problem.  Get an icing spatula under it, tip it up, slide my hand under the board and off we go.  Practice, I guess.

ehhicks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ehhicks Posted 31 Jan 2016 , 1:17am
post #10 of 13

I love the rubber shelf liner - its super cheap - you can purchase a roll from the Dollar Store or Walmart for nothing and then cut off the size piece you need - I will sometimes put a square of it under the cake board in the box if my box is bigger and I don't want the cake sliding.

Rohini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rohini Posted 1 Feb 2016 , 10:30am
post #11 of 13

*Last edited by Rohini on 1 Feb 2016 , 10:31am
Rohini Posted 1 Feb 2016 , 10:31am
post #12 of 13

*Last edited by Rohini on 1 Feb 2016 , 10:32am
Rohini Posted 1 Feb 2016 , 10:42am
post #13 of 13

So sorry for the empty posts. My intention was to add a post to another thread and when I saw I had by mistake added it to this thread, I deleted the contents. I did not dare to delete my posts, because the last time I tried doing that the entire thread was deleted!!! Apparently, there's a bug that does this. I have sent an email to admin regarding it. So sorry about the confusion :)

By the way I too use a non-slip mat between my cake boards when frosting cakes :)

Cheers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%