Home Baker Storage

Decorating By .eat.cake. Updated 2 Feb 2016 , 3:55pm by mymamacakes

.eat.cake. Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
.eat.cake. Posted 29 Jan 2016 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 16

Out of curiosity to all the home bakers. How/where do you store all your decorating equipment?  Cutters, tools etc etc. I am slowly gathering more and more equipment and am about to order toolbox number 4. Other half is starting to complain  :)

15 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 29 Jan 2016 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 16

I have a old Ikea island with 2 large drawers with storage underneath.  Also a tall old book shelf for cake decorating books, cake plates, cake pans, boards, etc. And one of my children's old dressers. Only draw back is having to go up and down the stairs to bring to my kitchen. But good exercice!! 

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 16

I am struggling with this at the moment.  I am very much a hobby baker but i have a lot of stuff...mostly stored in small plastic units in our dining room at the moment but i have considered converting our smallest unused bedroom into a workroom.  But then I thought I don't want to shut myself away from family when I'm decorating so I think I will just keep everything upstairs and like jchuck above, bring bits and pieces down as i need them.  I am wondering whether to have open shelf units like some sort of racking or whether to go for drawer or a combination.  I don't want to pay a fortune though.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 16

something like this and $25 isn't too bad

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/seville-10-drawer-multi-color-cart/prod7060004.ip?navAction=

but i have 2 seven drawer ones like that only the drawers start out deeper at the bottom and graduate at the top to perfect size for dusts in one drawer and coloring in the other --and the clear are the best i think -- esp if you are not using things on a daily basis

i just can't find a picture of my exact ones 

plus you can inlay one drawer with a sheet of foam and keep all your tubes at a ready to see/use basis by inserting toothpicks in the foam to mount the tubes on -- i despise rummaging through boatloads of tubes to find the one i want -- and i also hate the tackle boxes -- too hard to fumble through everything --

and with the drawers you can pull it all the way out and set it on the table for handy use -- but i know for sure mine will pop out not positively sure about the ones in the picture

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 30 Jan 2016 , 2:31pm
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 2:21pm
post #5 of 16

You don't necessarily have to spend a lot of money. Check out your local Amity/Sally Ann shops. 2nd hand stores, like Value Village. We have 2 large 2nd hand shops here where I live...The Re-Use centre, and Habitat for Humanity. They both have a ton of old dressers, book shelves etc, for pretty cheap prices. On my children's dresser, and Island drawers, I have each drawer labeled with it's contents. 

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 16

love the drawers on wheels but I think they are really expensive in the UK. Will have a browse and see what I can find.

.eat.cake. Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
.eat.cake. Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 16

Some great ideas here, thank you! I am also in the UK but will certainly look for the plastic drawers! 

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 16

I'm a hobby baker (don't sell items) in the USA with enough baking inventory to start a bakery. (Kinda over-bought in initial hobby enthusiasm.)

I purchase the Sterilite CLEAR containers in the 66 quart size.  Although the lids are usually not clear, you can easily see the contents of container through the sides.  I NEVER store anything in non-see-through containers if I can help it!  Exceptions are things that I keep in the original box (like a Wilton chocolate fountain).   These stack beautifully, fit on many shelving systems, and keep dust, insects, mice, etc. from disturbing the contents if they must be stored in an outside shed/garage.  I only place NON-edible items in any containers that are stored in an outside shed/garage location [ribbons, baskets, tins, cookie cutters, seldom used pans, cake stands...) 

I use the same system inside  the house in a dedicated, "cake closet" if I am storing food items like powdered sugar, flavorings, meringue powder in canisters, cake mix bases, gelatin, etc.

I use a craft storage thing on wheels with 5 or 6 drawers for the most used, smaller things like tips, bags, gel colors. 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 16

Here's a recent article about storage options I wrote: http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2015/12/cake-organization-and-storage.html

I have a bunch of things I've put together about storage, though...The first article in this list shows a bunch of other people's workspaces, so it might be good to see how other people have stuff set up. Scroll down the page for more articles about how I store things. http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/search?q=storage

chelseabunsbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseabunsbaking Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 5:29pm
post #10 of 16

I have a side board in our kitchen, when I started baking I had one draw, and now I have three cupboards and my draw plus a plastic five draw set. All very organised with everything having its place. 

mymamacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymamacakes Posted 1 Feb 2016 , 9:28pm
post #11 of 16

I have been trying to no avail to respond to this post.  I use IKEA pieces, large and small, to organize everything.  Their "Alex" drawer units come in several sizes---you should look into it!

*Last edited by mymamacakes on 1 Feb 2016 , 10:18pm
mymamacakes Posted 1 Feb 2016 , 10:19pm
post #12 of 16

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 2 Feb 2016 , 12:32am
post #13 of 16

I have a drawer in a cabinet in my dining room that is just for "decorating candy" or "emergency candy" - let's call it what it is!  I also have way too many items for a hobby baker - I used  two leftover kitchen cabinets and screwed them one on top of the other to make my own storage cabinet - in addition to using my kitchen island cabinets, other drawers and cabinets and odd shaped items in a spare room. I think the answer is I need a bigger house!

T

JodiCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodiCake Posted 2 Feb 2016 , 3:09pm
post #14 of 16

Glad to see I'm not alone in my lack of storage. I bought a baker's rack that has 4 small drawers and several different sized shelves when I started decorating a year ago,  thinking it would be sufficient...boy was I wrong. I now have the entire island storage, the rack, top self in the cupboards and over flow in the spare bedroom. Hubby says he's going to add a set of cupboards and more counter space to a free wall in the kitchen. I hope it holds lots because I just ordered a pile more supplies. lol

mymamacakes Posted 2 Feb 2016 , 3:54pm
post #15 of 16

56b0d13ae4bd5.jpeg

mymamacakes Posted 2 Feb 2016 , 3:54pm
post #16 of 16

56b0d1544261f.jpeg

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%