How Do I Keep Fondant Decorations Soft

Decorating By Rohini Updated 30 Jan 2016 , 10:11pm by Rohini

Rohini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rohini Posted 28 Jan 2016 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 3

Hi!

There was a post with a similar title just a few minutes ago. I added two posts and wanted to remove the last one but to my horror it seems that I somehow have managed to delete the entire conversation!!! My sincere apologies to the person who started it.

It seems that confirming delete post removes the entire conversation???

What I wrote was this:

I needed to do this very same thing last week although in my case it was 2d My Little Pony fondant cutouts. I found an old post on CC that said that you can freeze fondant decorations on a cake board inside a plastic bag and then let them thaw for about 20 mins (until they were no longer sticky to the touch) before attaching them to the cake. This way they were still pliable and could be made before hand.

It worked like a charm!! I don't think I waited quite 20 mins for them to thaw, only just until they could be handled. I also kept a close eye on them while thawing so that they did not get too hard and dry in room temperature. I did take them out of the plastic bag as they thawed as well. I was able to paste the fondant cutouts around the sides of my 20 cm round cake without any problems! 

Thank goodness for CC  :) This has helped me immensely and opened up a whole lot of possibilities. Hope it helps you too :)

2 replies
cookiemum123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemum123 Posted 28 Jan 2016 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 3

Hi Rohini,

The freezer tip seems like it will work. I'd try a mixture of chocolate Modeling clay with a small portion of fondant. Chocolate modeling clay doesn't harden. So a mix of the two will keep it from hardening. I tried it with gumpaste and It worked wonderfully. I still kept the clay wrapped in a baggie but I didn't have to wrap it triple and put in a container like I would with just gumpaste.

Rohini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rohini Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks cookiemum123 for your reply :) Storing my fondant cutouts in the freezer and then attaching them to my cake once they thawed really worked for me, but I would love to give your tips a try as well some time soon.

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%