Rice Or Wafer Paper

Decorating By Lisa93063 Updated 27 Jan 2016 , 4:50am by Lisa93063

Lisa93063 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa93063 Posted 26 Jan 2016 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All!

I'm really not familiar with rice/wafer paper. Has anyone used pre-colored? Is it easy to work with? How is the color? Vibrant? How would I attach it to fondant? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

5 replies
livvylou75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
livvylou75 Posted 26 Jan 2016 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 6

Hi Lisa,

I've not had loads of experience with wafer paper but I have experimented with it a little. I've had pre coloured wafer paper.. I've been happy with the colour. It's not my favourite medium to work with but you can create some great designs using paper punches and make pretty flowers too. You can attach it to fondant with piping gel. Water dissolves wafer paper so don't use water. Though saying that, I've seen a tutorial where steam is very briefly used to make the paper a little more pliable. Hope that helps! 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Jan 2016 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 6

I did quite a bit w/it some 15-20 yrs ago.  I don't know if it's changed since then or not.  Back then I only knew of white.  Seems to me they introduced colors around the time I retired and if I remember right the colored is thicker (double thick) than the white.  Easy to work with?  Yeah I'd say so.  It can be brittle and crack when you don't want it to but most likely that was because it was old.  You cut it w/an Exacto knife. The more I think about it the more I seem to remember seeing a demo or two using the colored.  It can be cut w/scissors due to it being thicker.  

To attach it to fondant just *very lightly!* coat the fondant w/piping gel or mist (lightly! W/water or alcohol/vodka) before placing the wafer paper on.   You only get ONE chance to place.  Be sure you are lining it up right the 1st time. In other words once it comes in contact w/the the fondant it cannot be moved.  There was a lady who developed hand problems from piping so much & turned to it.  She could make 3-d flowers and animals w/wafer paper.  Can't remember her name anymore (seems to me it might be Horn -funny how our minds work - I can picture her in my head!)   but she published a booklet on her methods.    You might be able to find a copy on one of the sites that sells used equipment.  Hope this helps.

Oh, white WP makes the BEST fall leaves :)  Just trace/outline the leaves, airbrush your colors and cut out.  The AB'ing will curl the paper just so to make very natural looking leaves.  Take a look at the pics I have in my album....there's a few w/WP leaves and other uses of it.

*Last edited by kakeladi on 26 Jan 2016 , 10:42pm
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Jan 2016 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 6

I've tried twice to edit my post.  It said it was edited but that is not what's showing :(

Yes, water will dissolve  it but.....I meant ti say very lightly mist w/water or use vodka/alcohol on the fondant to make it sticky.  

It makes the best fall leaves:)  On a piece of white WP trace/outline your leaves, airbrush  red, yellow, green,brown colors.  It will curl the paper.  Use an Exacto knife to cut the out.  Take a look in my album - several pics where I have used WP.   

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Jan 2016 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 6

The only thing you have to be careful with about colored wafer paper is that the color can come off or get darker when it gets wet. It's no thicker than plain wafer paper, it's just colored as it goes through a printer. 

Lisa93063 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa93063 Posted 27 Jan 2016 , 4:50am
post #6 of 6

Thank you all so much for the wealth of information. I really appreciate your time. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%