Grey Fondant Issues

Decorating By khinder Updated 30 Jan 2016 , 5:59am by ypierce82

khinder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khinder Posted 26 Jan 2016 , 3:48am
post #1 of 8

my homemade marshmallow fondant wont go to a light grey i am using black gel coloring and its turning into a dark purple if i add the white it just turns lighter black/purple any suggestions?

7 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 26 Jan 2016 , 8:24am
post #2 of 8

I find that cheep brands are not black but more purple as you said. Which one are you using? Or maybe it's expired or contaminated with another colour? I use wilton or americolor food colouring gel and never had issues...

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 26 Jan 2016 , 10:53am
post #3 of 8

I use americolor gel and always find it is more purple than black/grey too. It drives me nuts. Maybe you could try a paste colour or a powder colour.

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 26 Jan 2016 , 11:58am
post #4 of 8

I use Wilton black all the time for grey and it works great.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 26 Jan 2016 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 8

I use Americolor gel and it always goes purple. Add a couple drops of yellow; it counteracts purple.

nadiacorallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadiacorallo Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 3:05am
post #6 of 8

Exactly, yellow!

SweetCakesByAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCakesByAZ Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 4:44am
post #7 of 8

Another option, probably not for tonight but I good thing to know about, is LECITHIN! I’m sure there are other threads about it, but basically, it’s an emulsifier and by adding the same amount of liquid lecithin as gel color or powder, you get much brighter, truer colored fondant (and can be used in buttercream too).

Sweetwise sells it and has a great video showing examples (I think there’s even one of grey/purple fondant without lecithin, and then with it) and lecithin's other uses (look in the comments box below video for info on how much to use)

I bought my lecithin from a health food store, but it can be a bit hard to find unless you order it online from Sweetwise. Just make sure you get the LIQUID (actually, it’s kind of a thick syrup consistency), NOT the GRANULAR or POWDER (both of which are much easier to find than the liquid, unfortunately).

Good luck, and thanks to everyone else who commented on the black Wilton versus Americolor,

Alexandra    

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 5:59am
post #8 of 8

Also remember that when you add white, it lightens. White will never make any color darker. Hope it works out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%