Freezing And Defrosting Query

Decorating By Shockolata Updated 19 Jan 2016 , 12:38am by kakeladi

Shockolata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shockolata Posted 18 Jan 2016 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 2

Hi guys

I may have to make a christening cake for a friend. The baptism will be early afternoon about an hour's drive away (probably more than that due to traffic and roadworks.) Then there is the reception which will start 3 hours later and it is another hour's drive away. So I am thinking I should probably freeze the cakes and assemble them there. They will be easier to carry, no? And safer as they will have a cream cheese filling and will be standing for 6 hours let's say. 

I am very scared about this. How can I be sure that the fondant colours will not bleed or that the figure cut outs will not slide due to humidity build up? What if the cake does not defrost thoroughly in this period of time (well, it is VERY cold in England, with snow and ice...) I don't want to ruin my friend's day! 

One thing that you need to consider is that I tort my layers thinly and use enough filling so that when you look at the cut slice it is evenly distributed height wise. I also use sirup on the cake... 

I shall be grateful for any advice you can give me!

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jan 2016 , 12:38am
post #2 of 2

There should be NO problem w/the cakes defrosting over a 6 hr period :)   And there also should not be a problem with the filling spoiling but if possible I suggest frig/ing the cake for at least part of that 6t hr wait.  There also should not be a problem w/colors bleeding.  Can you cover/frost and decorate each tier and all you would have to do is put them together and add a bottom border?  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%