Separating

Decorating By Mariaguilbault Updated 27 May 2017 , 11:04pm by GIGGLEBOX2014

Mariaguilbault Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mariaguilbault Posted 15 Jan 2016 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 8

Hi. How can I remove a top layer of cake cleanly so that the bottom layer doesn't lose any frosting? I use cardboard in between but I don't know how to keep the frosting from getting stuck and coming off the bottom layer. Thanks. 

7 replies
Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 17 Jan 2016 , 1:23am
post #2 of 8

A lot of people put a piece of parchment or wax paper between the tiers for that very reason.  

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 17 Jan 2016 , 2:21am
post #3 of 8

Some people use coconut in betwen layers to keep from sticking.

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 26 May 2017 , 12:58am
post #4 of 8

Anyone have any new ideas or different ways they suggest removing a top tier without harming/removing the buttercream from the tier below? I have always "glued" my top tier on to my bottom tier with buttercream to keep it secure during tranport, but I'm curious how it works for those that place parchment paper and such between tiers. Will the top tier not slide? 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 May 2017 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 8

Cake, cookie, or other such crumbs work fine too.   Be sure they are very well crushed.......to dust:)  The onne time I used waxed paper they tiers slid apart :(

GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 27 May 2017 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 8

Kakeladi that is my fear!!!  Cause I have to travel from my house for about 4 miles in nothing but sharp curves. It makes for stomach churning driving! Lol

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 May 2017 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 8

In case someone doesn't see it there is another thread on the same subject:       http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/709487/removing-tiers-icing-comming-off

Driving is an important part of this topic.   If one drives "Like a little old lady from Pasadena" there should be little to no problem.    Just take it easy, advoid as many bumps, potholes etc as possible and don't go around curves of interesections on two wheels :)  Most of the cakes I have delivered stacked didn't even have a center dowel. 

GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 27 May 2017 , 11:04pm
post #8 of 8

Ya, I don't use a dowel in the center as most here has stated it is a false security so I haven't even tried it yet. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%