Help!! Newbie Wondering My Recipes And Prices.

Business By SweetDesire88 Updated 16 Jan 2016 , 5:32am by johnson6ofus

SweetDesire88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDesire88 Posted 14 Jan 2016 , 1:24am
post #1 of 4

Hey fellow cake bakers, have you guys found yourself in a situation where all you can do is to take a deep breath.

The reason I say this it's because there is a newbie to cake decorating who is unfortunately my relative. She has been trying to get my cake recipes and when she wants to know a cake price, her sister messages me on my Facebook page. That is just too funny. I ignore her messages but she stills messages me.  Add to that that she attempts to decorate her cakes as I do.  

Although she is a newbie she shouldn't be doing this. I was once a newbie and I understand what she is going through.

What do you think I should do? 

3 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Jan 2016 , 2:54am
post #2 of 4

Tell her to cut it out.

Seriously, tell her that you won't give up your recipes because that's a professional secret, and that she needs to figure out her own pricing because her costs aren't going to be the same as yours. You can't keep her from copying you, but on the topics of recipes you can tell her to take a flying leap and get her own recipes.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jan 2016 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 4

you can be nice and not reveal any secrets -- keep her first as an important relative/friend and secondly just tell her you're not able to mentor her right now -- there may come a day you could use her help though so weigh all your options --

best to you

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 16 Jan 2016 , 5:32am
post #4 of 4

Use tried and true evasion...

"You have to figure out what works for you..."

"You just have to experiment and see what you baking style brings."

"You just have to research and try some recipes and see what you like and what you want for your images."

"Yeah, I know it is hard but practice makes perfect."

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%