First Time Decorator...advice Needed!

Decorating By Nessa77 Updated 11 Jan 2016 , 11:57pm by Nessa77

Nessa77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nessa77 Posted 11 Jan 2016 , 6:29am
post #1 of 4

So my cousin has asked me to make the cake for her daughters first birthday.

This is what I'm aiming for (similar to): http://cdn001.cakecentral.com/gallery/2015/03/851975U3Vg_pink-white-purple-amp-silver-21st-birthday-cake-with-wired-stars_900.jpg

Theme is pink and silver, so going to use plain white fondant and pink and silver stars.  Seeing as I can't get silver fondant, I bought Wilton Color Mist spray.  I also got pink spray, even though I can get pink fondant.  Thoughts?

TIA for your help and any assistance.

Oh and I bought myself a fondant roller and smoother.  Cake size is 12"x12".  Base will be mud cake.

3 replies
Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 11 Jan 2016 , 9:06am
post #2 of 4

Personally, I would buy pink fondant and grey fondant and edible silver paint.  You can make everything out of white and then spray them put I don't think you will get the same depth of colour on the pink especially.  I had to do a lot of blue airbrushing a few weeks ago and i also ended up looking like a smurf...to the point where I was exhaling blue bogeys for 24 hours after breathing it in!  It won't do you any harm, but the coloured spray does get everywhere and I don't personally think it's worth the effort!  D you have star cutters?

Nessa77 Posted 11 Jan 2016 , 9:11am
post #3 of 4

Yeah got Cake Boss star cutters.

Might see if I can return the spray and get coloured fondant.

Nessa77 Posted 11 Jan 2016 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 4

I've been Google'ing other cake base options instead of mud and I think I'll go with a basic butter cake recipe as it'll be cheaper a mud cake in case, well, it stuffs up LOL.  I'm going to use a packet butter cake mix, as at the moment I can get 2 packets for $4 AUD, whereas one packet of mud cake mix at the cake decorating supply store is $7 AUD (Bakels).

This is the one I plan to use: http://greensbaking.com.au/products/cakes/traditional/#greens-golden-butter-cake

How many boxes would you suggest I need to fill a 12" square pan?

*Last edited by Nessa77 on 11 Jan 2016 , 11:57pm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%