Fondants Etc.

Decorating By jellybeanlane Updated 6 Jan 2016 , 2:41am by jellybeanlane

jellybeanlane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jellybeanlane Posted 4 Jan 2016 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,

I've not been on CC for very long, I usually read a lot of your posts and get some really great advice or watch youtube videos lol... I'm kind of a self taught baker like most of you are... Anyway I've used the fondants in the stores for my cakes that I just recently started doing fondant for and like most of the complaints I've read was drying out quickly etc. I have had the same issues but I have found many recipes and do's and don'ts and not really knowing fondant that much I'm kinda frustrated!

questions I have are since I have already bought so much fondant and need to go ahead and use it up, can I flavor it? what can I do to keep it from drying out? some say use only powered sugar to keep it from being sticky some say only Crisco? If I color it does it have to be gel only? I love to airbrush my cakes but some say that it makes fondant sweat? some say cover in plastic wrap and refrig, some say not to... lol see my dilemma??? please help, I have three cakes this month that are fondant for my family and I don't want to look like a fool... thank you all so very much  

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Jan 2016 , 1:12am
post #2 of 5

If you can knead color into the fondant it's better because airbrushing will rub off if the surface gets wet. You can use whatever type of food coloring works for you, but the wet ones tend to be better than dry ones.

I refrigerate every cake, and the fondant can sweat when it comes out if it's really humid, but so can buttercream. If you leave it alone the condensation will go away after a while. If you want to put the cake in a box do that, but I woudn't wrap it in anything airtight.

To keep the fondant from drying out I use crisco, but if it's really soft, sticky or stretchy corn starch can dry it out. If you use too much of that it could crack, though, so be careful.

jellybeanlane Posted 5 Jan 2016 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much... I really appreciate your help ...  :) 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Jan 2016 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 5

Mostly Agree w/customczar:)   I have AB'd many fondant cakes.  It really depends if it's a very light coloring or heavy coating.  AB'ing does not make a cake sweat!  

I have kneaded flavoring into fondant many times.  It helps those 'cheap' purchases fondants :)  After trying rolling out my fondants with either cornstarch or Crisco I decided the best for me was a VERY LIGHT coating of Crisco.  Make yourself a puff (sq of gauze; mix about a Tablespoon ea of cornstarch & powder sugar, gather the corners and fix w/a very tight rubberband) and use that to very lightly coat the work surface.    /See which one works best for you and the fondant you are using.

Coloring does not have to be gel.    The few times I frig'd a fondant cake I put it in a cakebox but don't cover w/plastic wrap.

As far as getting mixed/confusing information - what works for one person may not work for others.  Remember we all have different weather & home conditions.  What you call 'warm' might be COLD to me.  What you call 'sweet' might be WAY too sweet for me etc, etc.  :)  You will have to experiment to find out what works best for you and your conditions. 

jellybeanlane Posted 6 Jan 2016 , 2:41am
post #5 of 5

Thank you .... I feel so much better :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%