Hello All And Uk Copyright

Business By .eat.cake. Updated 5 Jan 2016 , 1:23am by costumeczar

.eat.cake. Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
.eat.cake. Posted 4 Jan 2016 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 2

Hi all, I'm new to the site and wanted to say hello to everyone and how thrilled I am to find a cake makers forum!  

I have been dabbling in cakes for years but having had a baby last year and nearing the end of my maternity leave I have decided to take the plunge and start my own business properly. 

After doing lots of research i have a business plan in place and am collating my portfolio of pictures.  I have a number of logo/character cakes (rather photos of now) and it would appear that I can't continue to do this according to UK copyright law. 

My question is how is it that so many UK cake websites have numerous picture of Disney/character/logo cakes advertising what work they have done or for sale at X price?

Is  there a UK loop hole I am unaware of?

Thanks in advance and happy baking xx

1 reply
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Jan 2016 , 1:23am
post #2 of 2

They're probably doing it illegally, and can get some attention from Disney or the other copyright holders that they don't want. If you want to do it legally you can contact the companies that own the characters and see how to get a license, but for Disney you might as well not bother. Their regulations are so stringent and the licenses are so expensive, it's pretty much pointless. It's frustrating to see other people flouting the laws, but that's what they're doing. Some smaller companies will allow you a limited license if you check with their legal departments, so it's worth checking. that way you'll know for sure one way or the other, anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%