Have Anyone Of You Done A Cake Give Away Contest? Would You Do It Again?

Lounge By SweetDesire88 Updated 30 Dec 2015 , 4:52pm by Snowflakebunny23

SweetDesire88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDesire88 Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 2:28am
post #1 of 4

Hi, cake bakers. I recently did a cake give away contest for Christmas.  

Felt that the holiday spirit and anyone enjoys a sweet treat. 

Anyways, the contest consisted of posting a picture with Santa on my Facebook page who ever got the most likes got the cake. 

:( Guess it wasn't the best idea only three people posted. Then just thought to myself, probably was too personal. Well can't do anything about it now, good luck next time. 

This is where my next question comes in, would I do it again? 

Honestly I wouldn't. I appreciate my customers a lot but they had to do a little work for the cake. And I thought it was a great idea. 

I had a great year and just felt the need to thank my customers.  

3 replies
mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 2:34am
post #2 of 4

I have done it before, but I did a contest. If I reached so many likes within 1 day, I would do a drawing. It generated a lot of business to my page and got a lot more exposure. 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 4

I've done it for groups I'm in, and it does nothing for sales in general. You might get a spike in facebook page interest, but if that translates into sales is another issue. The interesting thing is that when I do giveaways (not cakes, decorating supplies etc) on my business page I usually get a lot of entries, but then about half the time the person who won doesn't claim the prize. It's the same thing when my wedding association does giveaways. People will donate services ranging from limos to wedding planning, and 9 times out of 10 the winner doesn't claim the prize at all. I don't get it...

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 30 Dec 2015 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 4

I always say, would I do that?  Would I go to the effort of posting a picture of myself on a business page...probably not.  And, the number of 'likers' will surely depend on who likes your page, who likes their page and what their sharing settings are, right?  Maybe do a giveaway, but make it less effort for people?

I agree with the giveaways as well.  I have donated 4 cake vouchers over the past 2 years - 3 to charity and 1 to my local netball team (I never make a cake freshly because the chances are, they won't have an occasion to eat an 8" chocolate fudge).  Only 1 person ever claimed it.  Go figure.  x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%