Fondant Decorated Layered Cake Price

Business By ST2012 Updated 27 Dec 2015 , 4:54pm by costumeczar

ST2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ST2012 Posted 27 Dec 2015 , 12:09am
post #1 of 2

How much do you charge for a single tier fondant decorated cake in the Atlanta area?  Do you charge per serving or as a layered cake plus like $15 for the fondant and butterflies? My husband's co-worker asked me to make a cake (for whatever reason I can't attach the pic) that's fondant covered, what looks like four edible paper butterflies, fondant plaque with childs age surrounded by buttercream flowers, fondant name, fondant covered cakeboard, and plastic crown on top.  I want to be fair but not undercharge considering the work that it requires.  Thanks in advance for any help!!!

1 reply
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Dec 2015 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 2

If you want to be fair, all you have to do is worry about how much you're going to be earning and then charge that! Don't worry about whether it's "too much" for someone, because if they want that particular cake they'll have to pay for it. If a fair wage for you is too much for their budget they'll need to scale the design down. 

If you regularly charge X amount per serving, start there, then figure out how much time it will take you to make the extra details and how much you want to make per hour and go from there. If the customer says that's too much for them, ask what their budget is and suggest a design that will work within their budget. Don't work for free just because they want something they can't afford.

It's always a good idea to ask what someone's budget is before you even start calculating the details, too. That way if it's so ridiculously low that you can't do it at all you can let them know that you can't help them, or if it's reasonable but on the low end you can suggest a design that will fit in their budget.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%