Which Icing/cream Works Well With Gluten Free Cake?

Baking By Yifat83 Updated 26 Dec 2015 , 8:44pm by h0mesweeth0me

Yifat83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yifat83 Posted 26 Dec 2015 , 2:52am
post #1 of 5

Hi, 

My friend ask me to make her a gluten free wedding cake using king arthur's cake mix , since i never made one before i tried one this weekend ,  i use heavy whipping cream to fill it and frost it but it didn't work well... The cream melt on the cake (it was a cool cake ) and the cream feels very light for the cake that is more "heavy"..

Which icing will work the best to fill and frost the cake ? ( it has to be gluten free recipe /0

Also , can  i bake the cake a week before and freeze it ?  

And another  question , how many cups of batter i need to use in a 10" (2 layers) and a 6" (2 layers )

The cake is for 40-50 serving .

Thank you in advance for answering .

*Last edited by Yifat83 on 26 Dec 2015 , 2:56am
4 replies
Yifat83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yifat83 Posted 26 Dec 2015 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 5

bumping

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Dec 2015 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 5

i haven't used that cake mix but i have made gluten free cakes and items and i would recommend that you run a test with all your equipment and that cake mix and see how it does in your freezer -- everybody's weather and freezers are all different so you will have an accurate measurement if you do your own testing in advance --

i just used regular american buttercream which is confectioners sugar, cream, butter and vanilla but any type of gluten free icing should be ok

edited to add this formula:

the recipe i use is 2# sifted confectioners sugar, 2 sticks (8 oz by weight) butter, 1/4 to 1/2 cup ( 2-4 ounces by volume) liquid and a tablespoon of vanilla 

sliding scale for the liquid depending on how stiff you want your cing

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 26 Dec 2015 , 4:11pm
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Dec 2015 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 5

check out wilton's wedding cake data chart for servings and batter amounts 

http://www.wilton.com/cms-wedding-cake-data.html

h0mesweeth0me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
h0mesweeth0me Posted 26 Dec 2015 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 5

I do a gluten free mix, but I use a blend of flours (coconut, almond, tapioca).  The cake is heavier but I also use an American Buttercream to frost.  I find it hold up very well.  GF cakes should freeze ok (wrapped well)- i have frozen mine for a week before and all was good. Best way to find out for sure is to test it, if you have the time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%