Hand Held Vs. Stand

Decorating By mochaboi Updated 5 Mar 2005 , 5:21am by tcturtleshell

mochaboi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mochaboi Posted 4 Mar 2005 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 15

I would like to know what you pros prefer? Hand Held mixer versus a Stand. I bought a mixer that can be used as both. I have used it as a stand so far, and I don't think I like it....I'm making a cake tonight and I am going to see if hand held mixing is any better...It could just be User Error..LOL

14 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 4 Mar 2005 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 15

definitely stand! i use a handheld for quick things at home occasionally but not for cakes or icings. my handheld wouldn't hold up to most of the icings. i burned up one on royal icing and it like to destroyed my arm just holding it long enough to get the correct consistency. i'll stick with my stand mixer.

Debbie

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 4 Mar 2005 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 15

I like using a hand mixer to mix cake batter, but after burning out several hand mixers when making icing- I am ready for my kitchenaid stand mixer that I just bought. Your arm gets soooo tired when trying to battle the icing with the hand mixer. My last hand mixer that I bought was 225 watt, and it lasted for about 2 small cakes, and then got burned out on 1 big cake icon_cry.gif
I ordered my mixer from kohls.com at a really good price, so now I just have to wait icon_cry.gif until it arrives at my house to use it for icing and many other things. icon_biggrin.gif
Of course my little boy will miss out on helping me with the hand mixer. Whenever I am making something that involves using the hand mixer he always wants to help out. He's really good at using it...I think he is going to take after his mom when it comes to cooking and baking. Thank goodness because my DH can't hardly cook worth a lick. He's very good at grilling and making stir fry, but that's about it.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 4 Mar 2005 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 15

you'll love your kitchenaid! i refused to spend the money on one but i guess my husband and son got tired of hearing me "cry" so they bought me one for Christmas in 2003 and now i don't know how i got along without it!

my son is following along with my decorating too! i love it! i will have pictures to post this weekend from his first chocolate entry in a "contest"

Debbie

mochaboi Posted 4 Mar 2005 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 15

*WISHES REALLY REALLY HARD For a KitchenAide* My grandmother had one of those when I was a kid, and I used to love hanging around the kitchen watching her mix up cakes with it. One day...I shall own one. It's really cool to see that your children are so involved in MOMs(and DADs) cake baking. Thanks for the advice all...

m0use Posted 4 Mar 2005 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 15

I got the 325 watt model for under $150 at kohls.com; they have the top mid-grade model on sale for $199.99 until March 8th (Bonus Buy price). And it's free shipping on any order over $75 so you would only have to pay the surchage shipping fee of 7.50. Now I had a coupon to save an extra 30% when I use my kohls charge, and then since I work for kohls, I got an employee discount. So you probably won't get as good of a deal as I got, BUT it's still a pretty good deal since the model I got is regularly 299.99.
The artisan which is the model one step down from the model that I got is on sale, but it's not cheaper than the one I got. But you would have to hurry since the price is only good until March 8th. (This price is also good at the stores.)
Don't know where you live- but maybe you can fit this into your budget icon_wink.gif

mochaboi Posted 4 Mar 2005 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 15

Oh if only m0use...I would be out buying it tonight. No, that probably won't be in the budget until next month.

m0use Posted 4 Mar 2005 , 6:56pm
post #8 of 15

Ok icon_sad.gif
Save some money, and look for the kitchenaids to go on sale for really good prices around grand opening sales and also around Christmas time.

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 4 Mar 2005 , 6:58pm
post #9 of 15

I love turning on the mixer and walking away. As everyone else has said, mixing bc icing can be an arm killer- unless you're trying build that muscle in your right (or left) arm! hahaha

I own 2 stand ups, 2 hand held. I use them all. It just depends what it is I'm doing.

mochaboi Posted 4 Mar 2005 , 6:58pm
post #10 of 15

GRAND OPENINGS!!! There's a Kohls grand opening coming to one of our suburbs in about a month...I should have the plastic paid off by then.. LOL

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 4 Mar 2005 , 7:09pm
post #11 of 15

I use my KitcheAid stand mixer for most things. But I love my KitchenAid hand mixer for smaller batches of buttercream and royal icing; there's nothing like getting in there and having control over the feel of what you are mixing. The one I have shows no signs of burning out and I've had it for a few years now.

mochaboi Posted 4 Mar 2005 , 7:12pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks cookieman, that's kinda what I was looking for. There just seems like there would be a greater feel of control over what you're mixing as opposed to kinda watching your bowl spin (scrapping the sides occassionally)

m0use Posted 4 Mar 2005 , 7:17pm
post #13 of 15

Cookieman- the mixer probably hasn't burned out yet because it's a kitchenaid.
Mine was a little cheapy GE, I hate spending money when I don't have it.
Now I did not have the money for my stand mixer- I know shame on me for using plastic, but I justifed it. Besides I can blame it on my husband icon_wink.gif cuz he said I could get it (just kidding, I love you honey).

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 4 Mar 2005 , 8:50pm
post #14 of 15

The stand has my vote. I have the 4qt Kitchenaid and the 6qt Kitchenaid, plus a handmixer for the little stuff. Lots of times I have both stand mixers going at the same time..and I can still move around and get something else done..like the dishes...or check in at Cakecentral! icon_lol.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 5 Mar 2005 , 5:21am
post #15 of 15

Mochaboi,

I had a Hamilton Beach standup/hand mixer... notice I said had... Well the first time I made royal icing in it it burn up about 3 min. after I turned it on!! I brought it back to the store & got my money back & turned around & bought a kitchen aid!! (forgot to mention I sold my treadmill to come up w/ enough money!!) I only have a 4 1/2 qt. Wish I would have got the biggest they make. I have bought 3 bowls from the cake supply store since I got it. They are refurbished bowls & in great condition! It comes in handy when you are making a wedding cake! If you are planning on starting to make a lot of cakes I would invest in one!!!! You'll love it!!!!!!!! I will NEVER use a hand mixer again!!!!! Hope you find one cheap!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%