Venue Insurance

Business By KatesCakes15 Updated 9 Dec 2015 , 6:50pm by -K8memphis

KatesCakes15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatesCakes15 Posted 9 Dec 2015 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 5

I was wondering if there is a way for me to find out what venues require business insurance. I'm wanting to do wedding cakes so bad but the only thing that is stopping me is having insurance. The only thing I can think of is to do cakes that's outside of a venue like a park or at a house. I'm just not really sure what to do at the moment. Currently, I'm doing party or themed cakes, but no wedding cakes. I took a break for 7 months from doing cakes because I had a baby and I started back up again the week of Halloween. And because I wasn't doing cakes for a while, I don't have the income coming in like I should have. But I am looking into getting insurance but I'm already running into problems because me and my husband don't have renters insurance. And with his low salary, we can't afford it at the moment. So, I'm beginning to wonder if any insurance company will even except me right now. But, because I don't have insurance, I'm really wondering if doing cakes is even worth it right now.

Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Dec 2015 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 5

I wouldn't do it without insurance, but that's me. You can call around and tell people at venues that you're starting wedding cakes again and that you're gathering info about what requirements they have for vendors who bring things in...Business license, insurance etc. I know that a lot of wedding shows are starting to require that you have your own insurance to do a show, and a lot of venues are too to try to prevent having to pay for things through their own insurance.

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 9 Dec 2015 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 5

I know where I'm located (Illinois) you have to be insured not only for shows but also to operate. Our homeowners offers coverage and also there is a program called F.L.I.P. that insures those in the food industry. However you have to be a licensed and a registered business to obtain coverage. Here you can't operate a baking business out of your home unless you have a commercial kitchen. The cottage food law also prohibits sales outside of farmers markets. I'm not sure what your state requirements and laws are but here vendors will not recommend bakers or allow cakes in their facilities if you are not licensed and insured. They have really cracked down on that not only on cakes but also caterers. Illinois is a tough state in that so maybe your state is more lax on it. You'll just have to take costumeczars advice and call around. And check with your local health dept. if necessary. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Dec 2015 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 5

fwiw i was going to bake cakes in the commercial kitchen in the facility where i previously operated a bookstore and i just bought the insurance -- no questions were asked, no licenses were needed just had to pay for it -- so there's that... it was like $90 a year if memory serves for a million in coverage or maybe the $90 was twice a year can't remember but there's that -- and you might could get a monthly rate too --

and my locality does not require a business license until/unless you make/expect to make > $5000 -- so there are other financial things you have to be responsible for like taxes (income and possibly sales tax) but you need to check locally -- you might be real surprised at how easy it could be or how iron clad ain't no way but only you can follow the bread crumbs in your area --

i will say this also -- typically the larger areas have the more rules so all depends on where you are exactly located -- example my gf lives 20 minutes from me and has her own bake shop (not retail) on her property -- lucky girl -- i could not have one at my address because first of all the zoning -- then cakes go under catering -- i could do farmer's markets except i have pets -- so check locally and be diligent --

maybe you got this facepunch.png

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Dec 2015 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 5

and not to mention -- i love your screen name ;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%