Collaring A Cake Pan With A Pie Pan?!

Baking By emarcomd Updated 9 Dec 2015 , 4:36pm by ropalma

emarcomd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emarcomd Posted 7 Dec 2015 , 9:20pm
post #1 of 6

So, I'm making my first pizza cake.  Not a cake that looks like a pizza, but this thing:

http://www.thedailymeal.com/recipes/pepperoni-pizza-cake-recipe?_mobile=1

I need a 4" tall pans but only have 3" tall pans.

I would collar them with parchment, but I'm worried that parchment won't be sturdy enough.

With a collared cake, the raw batter doesn't go higher than the pan -- just as it rises.

But in this case, I actually need to stack the dough layers higher than the pan, before it goes in the oven.

So, I'm thinking I need something sturdier.

i was thinking of cutting into strips one or two of those disposable tins used for baking pies, and using that to collar the cake pans instead.

Can anyone see a problem with that? I'm especially worried about it's conductivity, if it will be hot enough.

thanks!

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Dec 2015 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 6

no you'll be fine collaring with parchment, a double layer -- because the collar will hold itself up because it only sticks up the extra inch -- it's still a full 4" tall but most of it is lining the pan -- no it will hold fine for you -- don't worry --  perfectly fine to have the food go higher than the pan edges in this case -- you got this --  

it's a few too many calories for me with the extra crusts but wow that pizza cake looks great! i saw some delicious looking pizza muffins too made with frozen bread dough lemme see if i can find them ...

i think i saved it on my tablet not on here well anyway it was something like this but just buying the frozen bread dough and using that

http://www.howsweeteats.com/2015/02/pepperoni-pizza-pull-apart-muffins/

oh wow here's an idea with rolling it like cinnamon rolls:

http://www.brickhouseonmain.com/pepperonirolls/

anyhow tons of great juicy delicious recipes

you'll be fine with a parchment collar

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 7 Dec 2015 , 10:02pm
emarcomd Posted 8 Dec 2015 , 12:41am
post #3 of 6

Thank you so much!     This is a big help!   I'll go with the parchment paper and check out both of those links of yours!

Thanks!

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 9 Dec 2015 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 6

I have made this cake.  The parchment will be fine since.  I used a glass container that is used for souffles since the sides were tall enough.  So you do not need to use a cake pan,

emarcomd Posted 9 Dec 2015 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks ropalma!

how did it work out?  Do you have any tips?   I'm using the pillsbury recipe, but with real pizza dough.  (I was going to say "homemade" but I bought it from a pizza shop.)

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 9 Dec 2015 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 6

I just found pressing the dough up the sides a bit messy because the dough kept sticking to my hands but outside of that it was very simple to layer the rest.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%