Rolling Out Sugar Cookies

Baking By sparkledee3 Updated 11 Dec 2015 , 7:44am by Pastrybaglady

sparkledee3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkledee3 Posted 2 Dec 2015 , 5:41am
post #1 of 8

I made a batch of the NFSC recipe from this site and tried rolling the dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper. It slid all over the place and I ended up with big dents in the dough. I tried it chilled and softened a bit. Does anyone have a solution or easier way to roll sugar cookies? TIA!

7 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 2 Dec 2015 , 6:10am
post #2 of 8

Make dough. Do not refrigerate.

One piece waxed paper, maybe 18" long. Add 1/4 of the dough. Top with another waxed paper. Smoosh sandwich (waxed paper/ dough/ waxed paper) with hands to pat down slightly.

Roll ONCE along the entire sandwich. Peel up the paper on the top and replace over dough. Pick up dough by bottom sheet and flip over (still a sandwich because I replaced the wax paper where it was, more or less). Roll ONCE along the entire sandwich. Peel up the paper on the top and replace over dough. Pick up dough by bottom sheet and flip over. Repeat as often as necessary to get your thickness/ thinness. 

Finally, peel off top paper and cut as desired. If too sticky to handle, refrigerate before removing cookie shapes (5-10 mins). 

I don't care how much the sandwich moves because I reset the paper and flip it so often, it doesn't matter. Usually 10-12 flips does it. 

*Last edited by johnson6ofus on 2 Dec 2015 , 6:12am
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 2 Dec 2015 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 8

I always roll it out between parchment, in the same manner as johnson describes above, and that way I can just transfer the parchment with the cut outs on it to a baking sheet, chill that, and then pop it in the oven.

I don't find that the parchment slides, but I'm often putting it on top of a silicone baking mat, which tends to "grip" a bit.

sparkledee3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkledee3 Posted 3 Dec 2015 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you for the replies! I will definitely give it a try tonight when I make my next batch. :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Dec 2015 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 8

i roll out dough between parchment or aluminum foil if i'm out of prchmnt -- i sit an equal sized stack of wooden yardsticks on either side of the dough as a guide -- 1-4 depending on how thick i want the item -- so i automatically roll the right depth of cookie dough -- my rolling pin is either 16" or 18" all  straight no taper -- i pat it around a bit like was said earlier -- i start my rolling sort of in the middle up then middle down then just give a once or twice over to get it the exact height - bam 

(if i had to flip it over i'd never make cookies -- too tired too much work -- i might turn it a quarter turn but no flipping)

i don't know why i'm not chasing the paper -- but you def want to grow into this method --

oh wait -- i am leaning into/onto my work -- leaning over it -- i'm a shade under 5'8" and my table is 29" tall so all my upper body goes right into the roller -- i'm not really pressing with my arms just hanging on sprawled/drooped over it --

another idea is to moisten the table top just a tad bit to get it stick --

best cookie making to you

ps -- had another thought -- i use flat sheet pan size parchments too -- i think the stuff that comes on rolls makes me crazy and would be much harder to keep still so there's that too -- idk

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 3 Dec 2015 , 9:21pm
Happyfood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Happyfood Posted 9 Dec 2015 , 6:19am
post #6 of 8

I agree with maybenot.  Those silicone mats really keep things from sliding around. 

I like to use wax paper to roll with.  It seems to cooperate a bit better for me than the parchment.  I will slide the sheets of  papered dough onto a baking sheet and pop it into the freezer for a little while to firm up.  That way it is really easy to peel off the waxed paper and pick the nicer side for the top - the dough is like a stiff board when it is really cold. If you are worried about messing up your silicone mat, you can place your dough back on top of one of the loose sheets of paper to do your cutting.   The chilled cut outs are so easy to pick up and place on your baking sheet too. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Dec 2015 , 1:18pm
post #7 of 8

i roll and cut out on the same parchment that i bake on -- i just remove the excess dough and re-roll it -- sometimes when i'm rolling out i just put different blobs of dough rather than rolling out a whole sheet of dough -- so each blob becomes a cookie and this to minimizes the excess dough that i remove --

10,000 ways to do the same thing

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 11 Dec 2015 , 7:44am
post #8 of 8

I'm with @Happyfood  parchment is too slippery.  I had run out of waxed paper and tried parchment and I couldn't work with it at all.  The waxed paper will crinkle up a bit with rolling, but it's simple enough to reposition.  I like to do my cookie cutting with the dough still on the waxed paper on my large cutting board.  That little bit of roughness on the board helps with getting clean cuts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%