Which Ganache Would You Use?

Decorating By SandraDee73 Updated 13 Nov 2015 , 3:08pm by SandraDee73

SandraDee73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraDee73 Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 6

I'm doing a tiered Minnie Mouse themed birthday cake for a one year old. Mom wants vanilla cake with chocolate mousse filling. I will be covering with fondant.

Should I use dark chocolate ganache or white chocolate ganache?

And the smash cake will be a Minnie Mouse hat with the ears and bow. I'm not sure if I'll put this on top of the tier or perhaps make it a separate cake. Maybe I should do white for this one, as it will be less mess for the baby? (but the fondant will be black anyway, so...)

5 replies
SandraDee73 Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 6

Or maybe a better question would be when do you use white chocolate ganache over dark/milk chocolate ganache.

Sometimes it's a matter of taste, but in this case I think either would work.

Thanks for your thoughts!

oftheeicing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oftheeicing Posted 13 Nov 2015 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 6

Either would be fine, but maybe ask your customer what she would prefer.  As for smash cakes, I do them individually and only use buttercream, because ganache and fondant aren't really smashable and in my opinion,  is too much of a choking hazard for a 1 year old.

SandraDee73 Posted 13 Nov 2015 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 6

Ah...good point @oftheeicing ! The little Minnie Mouse hat I am doing will probably end up on top of the tiered cake. It is quite small, so I think I will do a separate cake with buttercream.

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 13 Nov 2015 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 6

For my sons first birthday, I did a fox smash cake (covered in BC) and had modeling chocolate ears (also covered in BC).  I removed the ears prior to the smashing.  Perhaps your ears could easily be removed as well?  I was thinking the same on fondant - no fun for smash cake and choking hazard.

SandraDee73 Posted 13 Nov 2015 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 6

Oh that's an excellent idea @640Cake  ! I was thinking of a flat Minnie Mouse decoration on top of the smash cake. I could either do sprinkles in that shape or I can do out of modeling chocolate. Great idea :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%