Wasc Not Sweet Enough For Some Customers

Baking By Denasue Updated 13 Nov 2015 , 1:48pm by craftybanana2

Denasue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denasue Posted 10 Nov 2015 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 16

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make my WASC cakes sweeter?? I think they are fine and 99% of my customers do.  But I have run across a handful of people that tell me it is not sweet enough!  I mostly use American buttercream that is super sweet.  

15 replies
hobbist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbist Posted 10 Nov 2015 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 16

Maybe less vanilla?

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 11 Nov 2015 , 2:55am
post #3 of 16

Perhaps try brushing a simple syrup on the layers as you stack?  Honestly you can't please everyone.  Hard to imagine a cake with american buttercream that is not sweet enough.  If all else fails, perhaps you suggest they serve the cake with a side of sugar?stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes.pngstuck_out_tongue_winking_eye.pngblush.png

NatStan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatStan Posted 11 Nov 2015 , 6:56am
post #4 of 16

Wow. That is bizarre, no offense to your customers. Maybe add an extra 1/4 cup sugar to your batter. Or cut your cake layers thinner and increase the number of layers of icing. Or refer your customers to Walmart stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes.png

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 11 Nov 2015 , 10:24am
post #5 of 16

Tell them to buy a different cake. :-D

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 6:40am
post #6 of 16

As one other poster said....that's bizarre.     You might try adding a bit more sugar to the batter but it might make the top sticky after baking.     I sort of agree w/snowflakebunny :)   There is no way we can please *everyone all the time!*  Has this customer ordered from you before?  Did they complain about that/those order(s)?   Someone mentioned using less flavoring but I say the opposite - increase it a bit.  Same with the icing.  

Denasue Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 2:55pm
post #7 of 16

She has never ordered from me before but had my cake at another party.  She was a large cake and wants me to find a sweeter cake recipe! UGH!  Can't bake a cake but wants to tell me how to do it.  Love those people!  She also won't take my advice on the size of the cake.  She is going to end up with tons of cake that may or may not be sweet enough for her because I don't have time to "experiment" with lots of recipes!

Denasue Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 2:55pm
post #8 of 16

At this point, would love to!

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 4:26pm
post #9 of 16

I made the wasc cake one time and it was way too sweet for me. I can't imagine someone wanting it sweeter. To each his own!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 6:13pm
post #10 of 16

Perhaps another flavor?  Don't know which one was tasted but maybe another flavor would do the trick.      As for size - I remember one customer ordering a 12" round to serve 10 people!  I tried to tell them it was way too big but that's what they wanted so that's what I gave them:)

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 7:38pm
post #11 of 16

She probably has a taste for straight up cake mix which is very sweet.  Just use straight up cake mix for these too sweet is not sweet enough people.  Less work for you!

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 9:29pm
post #12 of 16

I had a wedding cake customer like this once. At the consultation I had given them a small sample....they wanted to know if I could make it sweeter!?  Um...no.  I told them that I could make slight additions to the recipe, but baking is like a science experiment and if I make too much of a change in the ingredients the cake isn't going to bake correctly.   They didn't come back....and I didn't mind at all!

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 11:57pm
post #13 of 16

Not sweet enough!!!!! Maybe they are use to cake straight out of the box with nothing added. Confetti pieces might make a cake sweeter.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 13 Nov 2015 , 12:49am
post #14 of 16
"""Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make my WASC cakes sweeter?? I think they are fine and 99% of my customers do. """

You know..... a 99% success rate seems to be pretty fabulous.  Maybe that 1% is not worth chasing.

*Last edited by MBalaska on 13 Nov 2015 , 12:50am
Denasue Posted 13 Nov 2015 , 1:21pm
post #15 of 16

MBalaska...you are absolutely correct!  There have literally been 3 of them out of the hundreds and they have been the biggest pain about everything!  Cutting the cord!

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 13 Nov 2015 , 1:48pm
post #16 of 16

The only thing I can think of is maybe they are referring to Angel Food cake? That is super sweet. Otherwise they have killed their taste buds with substances....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%