Supporting Wedding Cake For Travel!

Decorating By AmberDSouthard Updated 8 Nov 2015 , 3:32pm by AmberDSouthard

AmberDSouthard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberDSouthard Posted 8 Nov 2015 , 9:04am
post #1 of 4

I have a three tier wedding cake I am making next weekend that I will need to travel an hour to deliver. The cake will be all buttercream so I don't thing it will be a good idea to stack the cake at the reception hall. Normally I use the wilton separator plates and columns to support my tiered cakes but I have never had to travel so far with one. What would be the best and safest way to support my cake for travel?

3 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Nov 2015 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 4

I travel farther than that with buttercream cakes occasionally, and it's not a big deal unless you're going to be driving on miles-long stretches of gravel driveways that will shake it all up. Make sure to have the cake refrigerated overnight so that it's good and cold, and box it up in a brown cardboard moving box with non-skid carpet mat in the box under the cake and in the car under the box to keep it from moving around. If you do that you'll be fine. I use wooden dowels and have never had a problem as long as the cake was cold when it was delivered. Room temperature cakes are the ones that shift around.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Nov 2015 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 4

SPS, of course!  Sturdy, easy cheap.

AmberDSouthard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberDSouthard Posted 8 Nov 2015 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you ladies! I will definitely use the SPS system and make sure my cake is refrigerated and boxed properly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%