First Time Baking And Freezing Cake

Baking By s.erick Updated 8 Nov 2015 , 8:43pm by -K8memphis

s.erick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
s.erick Posted 7 Nov 2015 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 2

I am making a cake for my friends daughters birthday next Saturday  and want to start prepping early so I'm not rushed decorating. I haven't froze cake before and want to make sure I'm doing it right so it doesn't dry out! Here's my plan:

Bake the cakes Sunday. I'll level them and wrap in Saran wrap and tin foil in individual layers and freeze. 

Remove from the freezer and let thaw on Thursday morning. Would I leave the wrapping on and thaw on the counter?

Ill dirty ice that night. Do I need to refrigerate after I do this? I'm hoping to also put the first layer of icing on that night too. And then I will finish decorating on Friday. 

Also how early can I make the buttercream? If I make it Monday and keep I the fridge will it still be ok to use?

thank you for your help!!

1 reply
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Nov 2015 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 2

i bake, cool and fill each tier then freeze* them all at once -- i wrap them in at least three layers -- two of plastic wrap then slide into food safe bags** -- take them out and i brush all the frost off before it can melt onto my cake -- i ice them right then and hold them in the fridge until delivery -- take them in & out to decorate etc.

i often make my icings/fillings before i bake so i can get the cakes assembled into tiers and tossed in the freezer -- that way i can get all the messy mess over with -- then it can be more peaceful less strenuous to decorate --

* put your smaller cakes in the freezer first and get them frozen solid then place the larger cakes on top -- it's roomier at the middle & top for the freezers that are on top of the fridge -- you can pack a lot of servings in there --

**bags -- those reynolds cooking bags for roasts & turkeys work great -- they are re-useable (from cake to cake not from turkey to cake hahaha)

hey this is my method -- everybody does it different -- best to you 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%