Friday Night Cake Club For 11/06/15

Decorating By catlharper Updated 13 Nov 2015 , 1:32pm by Webake2gether

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 10 Nov 2015 , 9:28pm
post #31 of 35

@cookiemum123  it was more me than the Royal icing. I was tired and frustrated that I wasn't done. My lack of experience with it was the issue :) 

once i I got my head on straight (and some sleep) I actually think I did a pretty good job and I am excited to get creative on some more!! A lady from the party posted a picture on our fb page and said that they were the hit of the party so please don't be scared off Royal icing just learn as much about as you can before doing it (which I kind of did but should have more).

I am the type of person and so is my husband that if we don't challenge ourselves well never do it  so that's why I took an order for it. I'm confident enough to know we'll get it done. But it takes me a few days to recover from it lol. I swore I'd never do a flooded cookie and I'm doing them so give them a try you may be awesome at them :)

cookiemum123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemum123 Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 5:33pm
post #32 of 35

Thanks webake2gether,

It would be nice to be as awesome as I see things in my head :p So, I downloaded a tutorial/demo, of how to create them, from how to get the optimum consistancy of royal icing to creating really elegant looking cookies with simple tricks. So I've been reading it and collecting the few things she says to makes it easier. For instance it notes how everyone has their own way to organize and complete the work..working with one color if it's used for two clients, Drawing out your design...I do that naturally for the cakes, but I hadn't did it for the cookie patterns, also using push pins to push thru the piping tip to keep the royal icing from drying while you work on multiple colors, and those small spay bottle for adding just enough water to the royal icing to loosen it. It's quite a bit in the download.pdf from Craftsy. I dont have huge amount of space, which is another consideration.

So far i have drawn the cookies I want to present for Christmas. I think the leaf cutter cookies for Thanksgiving are the least challenging...maybe I'll make turkey.  I want to shop for the colors of pearl candies. I made course color sugar with some success so I will make the colors i want. All I have to do is make the cookies and royal icing...nothing to it but to do it!

What kind of piping bags do you prefer...My reusable got worn on the end and it was just a hassle trying to make it fit on my last project. I haven't gotten really good with the parchement pipping bags, but to have to buy disposables everytime!

I'm excited to get started that's for sure. The year is flying by. So I'll Look forward to seeing you and every ones next project:)

Marie0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marie0616 Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 5:51pm
post #33 of 35

Webake2gether , I love the Newsboys! They are so spiritual and talented. What an amazing experience to share with your young family!

I have been blessed to attend the Creation Festival here in Pennsylvania several times and it's very powerful to worship with music and such a huge crowd! An experience never to be forgotten! I still tear up thinking of the first candle lighting ceremony on the side of the mountain with about 80,000 people...             

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 12 Nov 2015 , 8:12pm
post #34 of 35

Nice cakes everybody!!!

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 13 Nov 2015 , 1:32pm
post #35 of 35

@cookiemum123  I am big on learning as much as you can before you do something. I read about things all the time. Watch YouTube videos and research different techniques. It amazes me how often something I read or watched 3 months ago becomes useful. I'm 100% self taught and so is my husband so the cake/cookie decorating world is new to us so we have a lot to learn yet but it's exciting. The more I do in the cake world the more I'm able to look at a cake or cookie and know exactly how they did it. Where as before I'd look at it and not have a clue. I use disposable bags I buy off amazon. I think I pay around $18 for 100 of them. And when I'm using them for practice work (nobody will eat them type of practice) I reuse the bags by washing them. I keep them in a separate drawer so they don't mix in with our business supplies. They wash well several times I would however never recommend using them on any goods that will be eaten. The brand is Hand e Grip. We love them but I've heard some bakers not like them at our local cake supply store. But I prefer them over Wilton brand. 

@Marie0616  it was truly a wonderful experience. the creation festival sounds amazing. I soooo want to go to a passion tour concert and see Jesus culture. I have a bucket list of concerts haha. Oh and tom petty if I ever get a chance I want to see them. have you ever been to a winter jam? We went 2 years ago and we seen newsboys for the first time and I really liked Lacrae (Christian rapper). oh and Toby Mac is on my boys' list to see. We are a super passionate family about music and worship. My husband is a musician so it's a big part of our lives. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%