Vanilla Cake Help!!!

Baking By ehhicks Updated 6 Nov 2015 , 7:10pm by Cakemom21

ehhicks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ehhicks Posted 1 Nov 2015 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 5

Hey! For my vanilla cake/cupcakes I use my Grandmas 1-2-3-4 cake recipe. I feel like it keeps coming out thick/dense and a little to dry. I have heard some people say to try using applesauce in the recipe. But would that just be an additional recipe or do I substitute it for something and how much???

thanks so much!!!

4 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 2 Nov 2015 , 10:17am
post #2 of 5

I use yoghurt in my vanilla cake. Or buttermilk and it's never dry. In addition you can also brush your layers  with simple syrup. 

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 5 Nov 2015 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 5

Use the applesauce in place of the listed liquid.

I also use buttermilk in my white and yellow cakes....try it - and maybe up the amount a bit and see how it works.  :)

Cakemom21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemom21 Posted 6 Nov 2015 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 5

@ cakedout- When you use buttermilk in place of liquid, do you have to add baking soda or not? I thought somewhere I read that usually cakes that have buttermilk have baking soda. So if the recipe does not have baking soda, and has only baking powder, do you have to modify it somehow?

Cakemom21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemom21 Posted 6 Nov 2015 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 5

@ cakedout- When you use buttermilk in place of liquid, do you have to add baking soda or not? I thought somewhere I read that usually cakes that have buttermilk have baking soda. So if the recipe does not have baking soda, and has only baking powder, do you have to modify it somehow?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%