Help With This Oat Cake Recipe Please

Baking By Wendellg Updated 2 Nov 2015 , 4:14pm by -K8memphis

Wendellg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendellg Posted 31 Oct 2015 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 4

I am trying to recreate a recipe for Hawaiian oat cakes sold at Starbucks on Oahu.  They are amazing!   Others have tried to do this too.  The following is the closest I have found taste wise, but it is turning out too moist for me:

http://www.neenalove.com/2011/02/recipe-oatcake-my-copycat.html

The texture of the original is dense, and somewhat moist, but yet firm and sort of dry.  The originals are baked in little squares about 2.5 in x 2.5 in x 2.5in. and if you break it in half it tends to crumble/flake off.  This recipe is done in a 13x9 pan and it is turning out very moist.  I am not sure how to correct this?  Bake longer? Or at a higher temp? Reduce some of the wet ingredients?  More flour or oats?  I did get one of those Wilton square cupcake pans to experiment with.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Oct 2015 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 4

i've never had one -- but if i wanted to steer this into a denser and somewhat moist but yet firm and sort of dry i have two suggestions

i would delete some egg white and sub a 1/2 cup of oat flour in there for some of the wheat-- or maybe delete the egg white and add a yolk but i think deleting the one egg white might do it --

or just sub in 1/2 cup coconut flour for some of the wheat -- it will add a little coconut flavor but it sucks up the moisture -- you got all that fruit in there i don't think you'll notice and what's more Hawaiian than coconut

pineapple.png (close as i could get to a coconut)

best baking to you

Wendellg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendellg Posted 1 Nov 2015 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the suggestion!  I tried again today omitting one of the egg whites and it did help with the moisture.  Something is still not quite right with the texture though.  I may try more whole wheat flour and less white flour.  It needs to be crumblier if that makes any sense.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2015 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 4

maybe ditch one entire egg then, the white and yolk -- just go with 2 eggs

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%