Never Made These Cakes So Need Some Help

Baking By TheresaCarol Updated 29 Oct 2015 , 2:42pm by azeboi2005

TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 28 Oct 2015 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 6

I have a young bride asking for caramel cake and coconut cupcakes.  I have never made a caramel cake; is it just a butter cake?  My grandma made a coconut cake to die for.  I remember watching her shred the coconut by hand but noone has found the recipe since she passed.  She was from Tennessee so I know the recipe was full of rich ingredients.  Any suggestions or recipes would be welcomed and very appreciated.  Thanks ladies. 

5 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 28 Oct 2015 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 6

Caramel cakes can be of different types.  An easy way is to use a good vanilla butter cake recipe and sub some or all of the granulated sugar with brown sugar.  A caramel filling is also good....  I've also seen recipes for caramel cake that were basically yellow butter cakes with caramel filling/frosting.  Duncan Hines also makes a caramel cake mix is you use mixes for your cakes.

When I make a coconut cake, I use my regular vanilla recipe and add a cup of finely ground coconut to the recipe.  If you can get pure coconut extract, that would be nice too...but beware of imitation...a little goes a long way and it can have a very chemical taste to it.  Duncan Hines also makes a coconut cake mix as well.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Oct 2015 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 6

in the old red & white betty crocker picture cookbook circa 1951 there's a burnt sugar cake recipe i've made before -- i haven't made this one but this is the idea 

http://southernfood.about.com/od/yellowandwhitecakes/r/bl10118a.htm

writezoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writezoe Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 6

For the coconut cake, I use coconut milk in place of any liquid.  If you can't find coconut milk, add coconut pudding mix. I've never put shredded coconut in my cake...   I use a vanilla buttercream and press the coconut to that.  Good Luck!

TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for your input ladies and gentleman; I appreciate it.  Jeff, does the coconut itself incorporate enough flavor or do I need an flavoring?

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 29 Oct 2015 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 6

Ina Garden has a wonder coconut cake recipe that I use when people ask for coconut cake or cupcakes. When i make it into cupcakes or cake i usually use 1/2 to 3/4 of the amount of coconut but i give it a good chop and toast it a bit. It makes for a more pleasant feel in the mouth as well when service is done.

As for a caramel cake, I'd probably go with the brown sugar substitute and maybe use buttermilk for liquid. That paired with a caramel buttercream and drizzle sound tasty! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%