New To Sps

Decorating By Webake2gether Updated 21 Oct 2015 , 6:12pm by Webake2gether

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 20 Oct 2015 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 9

I did a Google search for cake central prior to posting could only find older posts from 2010 about sps and it didnt really answer my questions. 

• If you use it what are the pros and cons (if any)?

• Are there only certain cakes you use them on? More than 2 tiers etc  

• Are they difficult to use the first couple of times or are they pretty easy and self explanatory? 

• Does it effect servings? 

We've stacked cakes but only for practice and didn't use any support simply bc we weren't transporting them and we were eating them lol.  We don't have any orders for tiered cakes as of yet but we definitely want to have a good system in place for them now. Any tips or suggestions are welcome :) 

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Oct 2015 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 9

• If you use it what are the pros and cons (if any)?

Pro - cheap, sturdy, easy to use, dependable

Cons - none that i know, other than you may need to order it online.  Very few stores carry it.

• Are there only certain cakes you use them on? More than 2 tiers etc  

every cake, every time.  Well, every tiered cake.

• Are they difficult to use the first couple of times or are they pretty easy and self explanatory? 

Neck no.  Easy.

• Does it effect servings? 

nope

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 20 Oct 2015 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 9

The only con for me is the smallest plate they have is 6". I did 4 tiers using sps with out problem.

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 20 Oct 2015 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 9

How hard are the pillars to cut if your cake doesn't come out exactly the right height?

Webake2gether Posted 20 Oct 2015 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks @leah_s  and @thecakewitch  My husband will be doing most if not all the stacking because I'm the baker he's the assembler and decorator on all cakes (so far I'm learning still it's more natural to him) anyway I told him I would research the sps for him. Ordering online isn't a con for me at all  I buy almost everything in bulk online now except my ingredients of course . 

Annie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie8 Posted 20 Oct 2015 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 9

I've been having a hard time buying the pillars to cut.  Everywhere I normally order seems sold out lately.  That's the only bummer I've run into.  I love SPS.

*Last edited by Annie8 on 20 Oct 2015 , 7:56pm
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 20 Oct 2015 , 9:11pm
post #7 of 9

Chef Alan on Global Sugar Art has a video tutorial on how to use them.

HannahsMomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahsMomi Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 4:34pm
post #8 of 9

Sps is amazing!  I use this system on every single tiered cake that I do!  It is simple, plus very sturdy!  Stress free deliveries!

Webake2gether Posted 21 Oct 2015 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks I'll check out the tutorial :) 

sounds like a good system to use. Worth the investment bc I don't ever want to have a cake disaster that could have been avoided. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%