Advice On Smbc And Fondant

Decorating By MissyTex Updated 12 Oct 2015 , 10:08pm by -K8memphis

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 12 Oct 2015 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 3

I haven’t done a lot of fondant cakes so I am looking for some advice.  The cake is due on Sunday, the 25th.  I work full time so will have to work on it in the evenings.  It is 10” (cake), 8” double barrel (dummy) and 6” (cake).  Cakes are baked and in the freezer.  My plan is to frost and fondant the cakes on Thursday & Friday (22nd & 23rd) and decorate on Saturday.

Frost with SMBC, chill, cover with fondant and keep in fridge until Saturday.  I feel like I should keep them in the fridge, but I am worried about condensation when I take them out on Saturday.    Even in October, it is very humid in Texas.  Should I wrap them in plastic wrap so the condensation doesn’t develop directly on the fondant?  Also is it OK to leave the finished cake out on the counter?

2 replies
Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 12 Oct 2015 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 3

I always keep my smbc and fondanted cakes in the fridge.  Take them out of the fridge when delivering, and don't touch the fondant.  Even if they look wet/glossy, they will dry out soon.  I don't bother with plastic wrap, you take the chance of marring your fondant.

there are two (or more!) schools to pretty much everything in baking, so figure out what works for you, and go with that.  What is best for you is what's best for you!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Oct 2015 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 3

missy -- you are a little stressed about your cake maybe? it's ok -- it's gonna be ok -- if you want more security/confidence make a little cake in advance and fridge it, box it up and ride  around with it in your car and see how it does for you -- no matter how many people answer your question it can't compared with you doing it yourself --

best to you !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%