Question About Cheese Wedge-Shaped Cake

Decorating By jfraelich Updated 11 Oct 2015 , 4:31pm by jfraelich

jfraelich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jfraelich Posted 11 Oct 2015 , 1:29am
post #1 of 5

I am making a Green Bay Packers cake in the shape of a cheese wheel with a wedge cut out. Does anyone have any pointers on covering these odd shapes with fondant? The attached picture is what I'm using for inspiration.

5619bb6096760.jpeg

Thanks in advance for your help!!

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Oct 2015 , 1:38am
post #2 of 5

For the cutout section, just cover it like a normal round but work that area reeeeeaaaallly slowly. You'll need to stretch the fondant to make it conform to the cutout area, and it will probably have some excess in spots too. If you're using a fondant that has candy clay in it the stretch will be better and you can even cut out a section and just put a strip of fondant up to the cutout area to cover it, then press the edges together to seal it up. I don't know that fondant without the candy clay in it will let you do that, so just go slow and take your time. Don't roll the fondant out too thin to begin with either, you'll need the thickness to work with.

jfraelich Posted 11 Oct 2015 , 1:46am
post #3 of 5

Thank you @costumeczar! I might try mixing in some candy clay. I didn't think of that :)

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 11 Oct 2015 , 10:17am
post #4 of 5

And start working on the corners first, then the edges and finally the smooth round sides. Same as for a square cake. 

I would start in the cutout part first - and as costumeczar said, go slowly and have the fondant a little thicker than normal.

Worst case scenario you can cover the edges of the cutout part with a separate piece - because the seams would look like the separate outer skin and inner part of the cheese.

jfraelich Posted 11 Oct 2015 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you @winniemog  :) That's good advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%