Using Electronics On Cake

Decorating By annakat444 Updated 10 Oct 2015 , 8:17pm by costumeczar

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 10 Oct 2015 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all! I have a general question for y'all. I did an ironman cake this weekend. After I was done I thought it would have been so fun to have wired it so his eyes could light up. I've never added any sort of electronics to my cakes so I'm just wondering in general, how would you do this? I don't mean anything super fancy or difficult, but just something basic like having eyes that light up or headlights on a car, for example. Thanks!

2 replies
Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 10 Oct 2015 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 3

Christmas lights? You would have to enclose them in some type of food safe tubing, threaded through the cake (as you're building it).  Or you could probably use those individual tea lights that are battery operated, maybe wrapping them in plastic wrap? If you search in the forum, there might be another thread or two on this.  Or just watch some Cake Boss, he uses all kinds of crazy things in his cakes ;)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Oct 2015 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 3

I've used those individual tea lights for car headlights before, but you have to just leave them on. The little rice lights might come in versions with one bulb at the end of each wire, and you could probably rig those up inside a drinking straw or something to plug them in if you can find a long enough wire. The good thing about the ones they sell now is that the bulbs don't heat up as much, but remember that the wires DO heat up so you have to take that into account. I think a lot of the stuff they do on tv are things that they wire themselves to get the right length of wire, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%