Refrigerate Fondant Over Smbc?

Decorating By MissyTex Updated 10 Oct 2015 , 2:05am by Jinkies

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 9 Oct 2015 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 4

I have limited experience with fondant over SMBC, so I wanted to ask some questions.

Since I work full time, I am going to frost/fondant the cakes (6" & 10") over a couple of days.  Do they need to be refrigerated until I’m ready to decorate?  I am worried about condensation when I take them out to decorate.  Would the finished cake need to be refrigerated?  I am in Texas.  Thanks!

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Oct 2015 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 4

i bake to order and freeze then from there i keep my cakes cold all through delivery -- i've tested my fridges and my recipes and that all works for my situation -- every last one of us does it different though so it's learning what works best for you --

for example when i buy a new fridge i take a big cake board w/me so i can be sure my cakes will fit in there -- one fridge condensed under the freezer and dripped -- had a heater installed to dry that out -- i've tested all my recipes in & out the fridge & freezer -- so it's a testing/learning/adjusting curve --

i like the little bit of condensation i get because the fondant then adheres perfectly and luster dusts also go on nice -- 

but it's different for everybody -- some cakers never fridge anything -- i'm in tn fwiw -- and of course if you are using any perishable fillings and/or cream cheese icing it has to be kept temperature controlled for safety too -- so it's driven by safety and the individual caker --

best to you

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 10 Oct 2015 , 12:24am
post #3 of 4

Anyone else? 

I meant should they be kept in fridge after they are covered with fondant. I feel like I should put them in the fridge so they will stay firm.  The cake is due on a Sunday, so I was going to fondant them on Thursday & Friday after work and decorate on Saturday.  

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 10 Oct 2015 , 2:05am
post #4 of 4

I would put them in the fridge.  Your buttercream will become soft as the cake comes to room temperature and then you have more of a chance of smooshing it while applying decorations.  They will be much easier to work with while well chilled.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%