How Do You Make Different Coloured Sides On A Buttercream Slab Cake?

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 6 Oct 2015 , 10:30pm by The_Sugar_Fairy

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to make a slab cake with different coloured sides than the top (like the one in the picture that I attached).  Is there an easy way to do this?  When I ice a cake in buttercream, I always have some of the icing on the sides come up onto the top and vice versa.  Should I be icing the top first or the sides?  Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks.5613c508e47f0.jpeg

*Last edited by The_Sugar_Fairy on 6 Oct 2015 , 12:56pm
3 replies
640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 4

I do the whole cake first, smooth it, and then do a second layer on the top, so the top ends up with two layers of frosting.  After smoothing the top (again), I will scrape the sides once more for any excess from the top coat.  You will see the two shades on the side (at the top), but your border will hide that. 

You could also do a frozen buttercream transfer (FBCT).  Outline the size of your cake onto a piece of wax paper, smooth the buttercream out, freeze it and then lay on top of your cake.  There are (better) instructions for the FBCT here on CC, should you go that route.

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 4

Yep, same here, I add a thin layer of the top color on top of the icing that's already there.  I try to get close enough to the edge that the border will cover the line between the colors.

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you guys!  I'll try that!  :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%