Gold Fondant Ribbon

Decorating By HannahsMomi Updated 20 Oct 2015 , 6:25pm by HannahsMomi

HannahsMomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahsMomi Posted 5 Oct 2015 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 11

So, I am not sure what to do.  I have a 4 tier buttercream wedding cake this upcoming weekend.  At the base of each tier is a fondant ribbon that must be painted gold.  I was planning on traveling with 3 tiers stacked (with SPS), and putting the top tier on once I arrive.  As I was thinking about it this morning, the ribbon will have to be placed at the venue and then painted gold.  The problem is, the ribbon needs to dry before being painted right?  I won't have time for that.  Has anyone had a similar issue?  Do I have to let it dry before painting (with gold luster dust and vodka)?  

Traveling with a 4 tier stacked cake makes me nervous, I've done it before with no issues.  This delivery is 35 miles away though.  Any suggestions?

10 replies
ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 5 Oct 2015 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 11

Not sure why you have to wait until you get to the venue to attached the ribbon.  See my picture.  I did all the details at home the day  before I got to the venue including the painting.  Painting takes a while to do and dry out.  I did have to wait about 30 minutes once I attached the fondant pieces to make sure the fondant had dried some.  I travelled with the cake (2 hours - over 100 miles) just as you see it here.

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3352828/arabian-nights 

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 5 Oct 2015 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 11

Nice cake ropalma! 

I agree, why do you need to wait for the gold ribbon? If you're going to put fondant on each tier, you might as well just add the fondant ribbon, it's the same concept  

besides the fact that you will need to allow time to maybe even do multiple coats of gold.  I did a cake with gold recently, and it took several coats of gold to get the effect I wanted  

you don't have to stack before going, if you put the ribbon on and paint you can still stack at the location, unless there's a design element I'm missing?

HannahsMomi Posted 5 Oct 2015 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 11

That is a beautiful cake!  Love it!  I was going to wait and stack the top tier once I get there and then attach the ribbon.  I don't want to allow for any space/gap between the top tier and the tier below it.  That is why I was waiting to attach the ribbon at the venue.  I want it to be seamless.  You think I should stop being so paranoid and just travel with the 4 tiers completely stacked?

HannahsMomi Posted 5 Oct 2015 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 11

I've just always attached ribbons after stacking.  I guess I never thought about that option.  Isn't it funny how we get stuck in a method and we have a hard time thinking about doing it a different way?  I feel silly now...relaxed.png  I guess I was just worried there would be a gap.  Sometimes (with the SPS plates) I have a tiny (others may not even notice) space..

HannahsMomi Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 12:55am
post #6 of 11

Wouldn't it be easy to damage the fondant ribbon though as I lift the tier to put it onto the rest of the stacked cake at the venue?

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 1:19am
post #7 of 11

Ah, okay, I see where you're thinking is.  You're allowed to be paranoid :)  It's your cake. 

Okay, so you're worried about the gap.  I think in this case, you might just have to take that chance.  You really can't paint a gold ribbon on site, waaaay too time consuming.  So you can either stack before going (although I don't like to do that myself, many people do and it's just a personal preference) and therefore place the ribbon where there's absolutely no gap; or you can apply ribbon to the tiers and stack on site, and live with MAYBE having a small gap. 

You're no more likely to damage the ribbon as you are to damage any other fondant cake, so I think that's a moot point. (or as Joey says "moo point.  it's a cow's opinion).  Just be as careful as you would with any other cake.

Whatever you decide, think about what you feel comfortable with, and go with what you prefer and feel you can pull off best.

Be sure to post pics!

HannahsMomi Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 12:01pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks so much!  I think you have calmed me down a bit! blush.png  I have a few days to come to a decision, but right now I am leaning towards stacking on site.  I am such a perfectionist with my cakes, I tend to overthink things!  I appreciate your caring response.  I am feeling much better about it all!  It can be done!

SugarSliceNY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarSliceNY Posted 6 Oct 2015 , 1:19pm
post #9 of 11

I JUST posted a picture of a cake I did where I placed 4 horizontal metallic gold fondant ribbons on the bottom tier of a buttercream cake.  I personally painted the fondant ribbons gold before placing it on the cake.  Once I painted them I let the fondant rest so that it wasnt as tacky and did touchups the them once they were applied.  I used vodka mixed with the metallic gold highlighter, but if you use an alcohol with a higher % like everclear it will evaporate much faster.

HannahsMomi Posted 20 Oct 2015 , 6:25pm
post #10 of 11

I did it and I am finally posting a picture!  It all went fine!  I finished stacking the cake on site.  I placed the ribbon on before delivery and painted it.  I was so worried about damaging the ribbon while stacking, but it went well!  No problems!  It turned out great!  Thanks so much for all of the support and advice!  I don't know what I would do without you guys!56268710ac165.jpeg

HannahsMomi Posted 20 Oct 2015 , 6:25pm
post #11 of 11

I did it and I am finally posting a picture!  It all went fine!  I finished stacking the cake on site.  I placed the ribbon on before delivery and painted it.  I was so worried about damaging the ribbon while stacking, but it went well!  No problems!  It turned out great!  Thanks so much for all of the support and advice!  I don't know what I would do without you guys!562687193dab8.jpeg

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%